Do you know what you can buy on eBay?

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by Prov.31 Wannabe, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Prov.31 Wannabe

Prov.31 Wannabe New Member

A bronze cast of Suri Cruise's baby poop.

But you can't buy Teacher's Editions any more. I know this has been discussed, but this is a new article with more information.

Here's the linkie.....
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=51772

The owners of a magazine targeting homeschoolers' needs say they are disappointed eBay stopped allowing the sales of homeschool curriculum teacher's guides, but there are alternatives.

The internet trading behemoth recently announced that any teacher's guides for homeschool curricula no longer would be allowed on its auction site, setting up a storm of protests from the parents whose money supports the estimated $1 billion annual homeschooling industry.

"Unfortunately, it reflected society's belief that only professional teachers should be allowed access to those materials," Nancy Carter, a spokeswoman for The Old Schoolhouse Magazine, told WorldNetDaily.

"Homeschoolers frustrated with the eBay ban on teacher's editions can take their business to other sites who understand the importance of being able to buy and sell teacher's editions for home educators," said a statement from Gena Suarez, magazine publisher.

"Some of our readers have complained to us and asked if we could get involved. eBay is committing a crucial error in disregarding the homeschooling sector of its marketplace," she said. "The popular online auction site has benefited significantly from home educators and implementing this ban on teacher's editions is not going unnoticed."

She suggested eBay could show its support for families and once again allow the homeschoolers to buy and sell the guides.

"Doing so will go a long way to restoring the relationship that homeschoolers once enjoyed with eBay," she said.

Carter said several of the sites that do allow homeschoolers to exchange materials include, ... (snipped, click link for the rest. I don't want to violate copyright laws.)

3. gladmind

gladmind New Member

We are homeschool family and just started a new education auction - Glad Mind (gladmind dot com) in response to the ban by THE auction giant. Teacher editions welcome!

4. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Thanks for the article! I've never been a fan of ebay, and have used homeschoolclassified.com a lot. The article gave me a few other sites to bookmark for when I want to buy this spring! Gladmind, I will be sure to check out your site, too!

5. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

LOL that is so true, but if you buy the books from someone and private e mail them they will still send you the TE books they did for me this year.

6. Syele

Syele New Member

I'm considering closing my ebay account and sending them a message to say it's because of their decesion.

7. Prov.31 Wannabe

I'm finding that homeschoolers are a creative lot -- and don't think any of my auctions will be lacking ANY of the NECESSARY materials.

;) lol

8. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

But why would you want to do the buying on eBay when you know they have this policy? Why don't you just go to one of the other sites to do your business?

9. bunnytracks

bunnytracks New Member

that is so crazy. why would anyone want that???? *scratches head*
    I don't even look at e-bay anymore. Personally i think homeschooler should boycott it totally because they are being rediculous.

10. Prov.31 Wannabe

I considered it, Jackie, but I want them to change -- not me to move my business. Now, for the most part, I order from Rainbow or CBD or shop at our yearly used curriculum sale, but I really want the option of eBay. I got my entire 2nd grade Saxon math (with TEs, workbooks, everything...) for $9! You just can't beat that.

11. Prov.31 Wannabe

I do plan to continue harassing eBay about it, though.

12. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

I've only bought from eBay once, and really didn't like the experience. I got a decent deal, there was a slight mix-up, but I think it was an honest mistake and the person made it good as soon as I pointed it out. That sort of thing could happen to anyone on any board. Just the whole bidding really set my teeth on edge. I've always been able to find what I was looking for on other boards, buying used directly from HS'ers. Maybe if I'd been a big eBay fan to begin with, I'd feel differently.

13. Prov.31 Wannabe

That's possible. It's also possible that I like the thrill of the hunt. ;-)

14. sheepish

sheepish New Member

I think people are still using ebay because that's where everything is. There are a number of smaller online auctions out there, but they're so small that you can't often find what you're looking for. Personally, I don't like going to 20 different sites to see if anyone has what I'm looking for. Plus, sellers have a better chance of getting a good price on ebay since the shoppers are there.

Anyway, everything I purchased from ebay this year still had teachers editions that came with my packets. I do think if you send an email you'll find out if the seller has those to offer.

15. gwenny99

gwenny99 New Member

ugh - ebay

I've purchased stuff through ebay, but not many books. Here are some great links for reseller that I use often:
    vegsource.com - it's a vegetarian website with a GREAT homeschool section,

yahoo groups - just look under used homeschool books or something of the like and you will get a slew of resources. The more members, the more stuff for sale, and if you prefer a certain demoninational resource, you can find a resale group for that.

theswap.com has forum and a swap site

half.com - an ebay affiliate, but I dont' know if they sell teachers manuals or not. I've read that if you list the manual as a "parent guide" on ebay you get around their no teacher manual rule.

These are all great websites that I have used successfully before, you deal directly with sellers, and while you don't necessarily have the recourse you might with ebay should a problem occur, I've never had a problem and then you avoid having to rely on ebay.

16. kachelsi

kachelsi New Member

Sellers still list the TE on ebay they just call them PE instead.

17. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

18. kachelsi

kachelsi New Member

Parent Edition. I got a kick out of it when I first saw the TE's being listed as PE's just shows how resourceful homeschool moms are.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006