Kids Books

Discussion in 'Homeschooling' started by abcTammy, Aug 2, 2004.

1. abcTammy

abcTammy New Member

Hi Everyone,
    Barnes & Nobel Books has a summer reading program going through September 10th. Read eight books and get a free books from the store :p . They have a 25 free book list to choose from and you can get up to two free books per child. :D AND the books they read can be any book, you don't have to purchase them :wink: They have a reading sheet you can pick up at the counter. Happy Reading~
    Tammy

3. Trish

Trish New Member

Vicki did this. We are going to get her 2nd book between now & September. I love to get her involved in reading programs. We go to the library usally everyweek. We didn't make it this past week.

4. moondancer7825

moondancer7825 New Member

AH man! That sounds like a great program. :( Too bad the nearest Barnes and Noble is 3 hours away. :(

5. Mom2ampm

Mom2ampm New Member

This is an excellent program

and we've done it for the past two years!!! I just can't get my dd back up there for her free book (due to her broken leg). Hoping I'll be able to soon!

6. CrystalB9

CrystalB9 New Member

I didnt know about this one!!! Thanks for sharing. We are going to run down today and get the info!!! :lol: :lol:

7. CrystalB9

CrystalB9 New Member

:cry: I dont think this is a program in every state. I just called my local store and the sales clerk didnt know anything about it. I did a search on the summer reading program and I could only find info for Virginia. Too bad, it sounds really good.
    If anyone else knows of any other free programs let me know!!
    My kids did our local library reading program this year and got free tickets to a amusement park, a baseball game, a butterfly house, a corn maize, free game of bowling and a free happy meal!! Pretty cool! 8)

8. Trish

Trish New Member

Crystal,
    Did you ask for the children's department. Ours was in it. Pizza hut also has one during the school year. We joined it.

9. CrystalB9

CrystalB9 New Member

Thats a good idea Trish. I will call back and ask to speak with someone in the childrens department.
    Yes, we do the Pizza Hut Book It and Friendlys and Old Country Buffet.
    Do you know of anymore?

10. CrystalB9

CrystalB9 New Member

I had no luck when I called back, but my daughter and I stopped in today to check things our for ourselves and in the children's section we found it!! They had a small stand with the forms for it.
    Thanks Tammy!!!!

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New Member

I checked it out and they told me that my child needs to be 6yrs.old or up to participate in it and the reason is their reading materials are for 1st graders and up. So, since my daughter still in Kindergarten level we have to wait until next year.

Randa

12. Mom2ampm

Mom2ampm New Member

they actually have two programs if I am not mistaken....

One is where the child reads books from a "book list" and then other is where you can read any books you choose (on your grade level). You may want to check again. I know my dd participated when she was six.

13. abcTammy

abcTammy New Member

I should have looked at my form when I posted :oops: . That would have helped. We are participating in the Barnes & Nobel Summer Reading 2004 ~ Embark on a Reading Safari. It does say in fine print Limit of (2) forms per school-age child (grades1-6), please. This is the green form where your child/student reads any 8 books, writes the title, author, "My Favorite Part of the Story", and the parent/Guardian sign it. When finished you return to the store and pick from a list of "25 exceptional paper back titles." The time was May 30th through September 10th, 2004. (When we finish the first form this week, I'm heading in there and getting another.
    No one at the store ever mentioned this program to us either. A friend told us about and I had to ask. (She takes her kids into their story programs.) I was lucky to get the right person.
    I'm sorry this wasn't easier. Too bad Randa, next year. Thanks for the help Missy. Crystal, I can't believe no one knew about that rack in the children's dept :roll: I'm so happy you found it.
    Tammy

14. CrystalB9

CrystalB9 New Member

The paper you descibed is the one we found Tammy. I didnt notice we could do it twice - thanks for pointing that out! :D
    Dont apologize about it not being easier. It really wasnt difficult. We just had to do our own investigation. :wink:
    Thanks again Tammy for letting us know about this reading program!! :lol:

15. Mom2ampm

Mom2ampm New Member

Well...

:wink: I guess we got lucky. I know we have done this program for two years now and dd is only seven. Either I just didn't pay attention and they didn't question it or they have changed the age group. It's a great program nevertheless!

16. She

She New Member

Yep the form said for 1st graders to whatever.

We do first grade work even though ds is only entry K age. So...MY guess is that they want the kids to read their OWN books. :D

One of our local grocery stores H-E-B did a reading contest. Read 10 books get a certificate & a T-shirt. Woo Boy that T-shirt was a big hit! 8)

17. Mom2ampm

Mom2ampm New Member

She..

Yep the form said for 1st graders to whatever.

We do first grade work even though ds is only entry K age. So...MY guess is that they want the kids to read their OWN books.

I think you're right. I know dd was reading on her own when we started it. I guess if you have younger kids you could try another program. Our local library let my dd start at age 3 in their reading (summer) program! :p

18. Brooke

Brooke New Member

This isn't about B&N, but I wanted to pop in here with the summer reading program my kids participated in. Our local ps has grants for before and after school programs since our community is pretty much poverty stricken. Anyway, along with the grant they offer a summer reading program for kids from pre-K to 8th grade. For only $5 each kid, they went twice a week to the school for reading and related activities for 6 weeks. The theme for week 1-3 was Abraham Lincoln and the theme for weeks 4-6 was the State of IL. They had hands-on activities and games, trivia with rewards of all sorts of neat stuff and best of alllllll.......the entire family got to go on two chartered bus field trips to the Springfield, IL area!!!! They even took care of lunch on the second trip.

Summer reading is open to all area kids, not just the ones in ps, so I expect we will be doing this again next year. Oh, and they were rewarded with free books at the end of the program for the books that they read :oops: .....easy for me to forget that part with all the other cool stuff going on! :lol:

19. abcTammy

abcTammy New Member

There are so many wonderful reading programs out there :roll: We all just need to know where to look. On one of the other threads, Pizza Hut Book-it was mentioned, Old Country Buffet, local libraries, and a few more :wink:
    My two love participating in these. Our library has given away so many wonderful things ~ even Disney On Ice Tickets and Poppa Jon's Pizza :!: 8)
    Thanks for sharing everyone :!:
    Tammy