Teaching Textbooks question

Discussion in 'Homeschooling' started by Jackie, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

I am currently looking for Teaching Textbooks Algebra II for Rachael next year. While searching, I came across a post on some board somewhere that says you can only install it TWO TIMES. In other words, I buy it new and install it on my machine and use it. The next year, I sell/give it to a friend who then installs it on HER machine and uses it. But when she sells it to a THIRD person, it WILL NOT install on that machne! The post said that you can call in requesting some code, but ONLY if you can prove you bought it from the company to begin with.

Now, I don't know if this is true, but it REALLY bothers me! First of all, it means I cannot buy it used, just in case I'm not buying from an original user. And, what's more, I don't think it's any of their business if we sell/give away a product we're done using!

So has anyone else heard this, or have any idea how to find out if it's true?

3. MamaBear

MamaBear New Member

I have heard this is becoming the norm. If the co only allows you to install twice, they make more $$ when the product is purchased again. KWIM?

4. dawninns

dawninns New Member

Thsi is an issue that's really been irritating me for some time. There was a concept that a consumer used to have a right to do certain things with their purchases like resell it or make backup copies. Those ideas are slowly being eroded as companies do as was mentioned above and enact measures that don't allow most consumers to copy their own CDs, DVDs etc. Parcel that in with a copyright system that grants keeps things out of the public domain for far too long and I get angry.

5. sixcloar

sixcloar New Member

I've heard that, too. I want to use TT next year with ds, but I want to be able to use if for all 4 of my kids- without having to call the co. and get special codes and worry about proving I bought it from them. Plus, I'd like to buy it used!

6. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

OK! I found out! I actually CALLED them! That's true with 7th grade, but not for the upper classes. It has to do with the kids actually recording their answers onto the computer and things. I listened and then told her that I'd definately be sticking with Saxon then. I explained that I would need to use it with more than one kid, and I couldn't afford their VERY expensive program if I weren't able to sell it again later.

Carl says there's probably a code already out to get past it tht you can easily find on the internet, lol!

7. jacqlyn00

jacqlyn00 New Member

Wow, I guess I wont be looking into Teaching Textbooks either. I have 4 kids and when possible I try using curriculum that I can pass down from kid to kid.

8. dawninns

dawninns New Member

I have to do some on this. I can't think of how they'd manage it with a cd. Afterall, you're not adding any information to the cd. It must install something on the computer....I must consult higher geeks than I.

9. sixcloar

sixcloar New Member

UGH!! It's TT7 that I need for next year!!!

10. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

Yes we are using the Pre-Algebra this year and the CD's are only for viewing. We have not recorded anything on the disks. Maybe I am missing something???????? Oh ok it is only for the younger ones.(5-6-7) But if you look on the site this is the info they give..
    "Note on Number of Installations: You can install the Math 7 an infinite number of times on a computer, which means that as one child completes a school year, you can just reinstall and have another child do the course the next year. This allows the whole family to use a single Math 7 set. We have also allowed installation on a second computer to accommodate families who need two children to work on Math 7 at the same time. The program is designed to block installation on more than two different computers; however, if you need an additional installation because of a new computer purchase or to have more than two students use the product simultaneously, just call our office toll-free at 1-866-867-6284 and we can give you another installation privilege. Unfortunately, experience has taught us that the number of installations must be limited to protect against the use of a single product for an entire classroom. "

Unless I am reading this wrong. Which I do sometimes..
    Blessings

11. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

Is anyone now using the 5-7th ones? I will be needing Algebra (any next year) But I just did the 5th grade one with my 9 year old and she was getting it!! I was totally shocked, she takes over 1 hour to get 1 sheet done but sitting here she did all the ones they give you as samples in minutes. I may need to get this... Just wondering what others thought of the younger grade one? I do not mind getting a new code. It seems easy enough..

12. southernmom

southernmom New Member

Ok are you saying on the Pre-Algebra one that you only view and/or listen to the CD and that you don't have the option of putting your answer into the computer? If that is the case does that mean you don't have the option of the cd showing you the solution for each problem?
    Plus, I wonder why the limitations are only addressed as being on Math 7? Is that the only one that you actually put the answers in on? We use math 7 and love that format.
    Ann

13. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

Yes, We have a book to work in and the CD's are all the solutions ect..
    "In addition to the step-by-step multi-media solutions manual, parents may purchase another set of CDs that contains both lectures—one for each of the 126 lessons in the textbook—and step-by-step multimedia explanations to the 5 practice problems that begin each problem set. These practice problems serve as hints to the very toughest problems in the book."

Here is the link.
    http://www.teachingtextbooks.com/PreAlgebraReadMore.htm

I will have to say my daughter not only hated math but could not get it.. And she is doing AWESOME with this approach. Some days we do not use the disk but she likes to have the solutions (for the visual in her)

14. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

I talked with the lady. If your computer crashes and you would have to re-install that. My problem comes legally selling the set. If I use it and sell it, that person of course will legally install it on THIER computer. So if they sell it when they're done, the person who buys it CANNOT install it. And THAT is not fair!

Yes, the upper grades you don't put the answers on the computer. Rachael does her geometry out of the textbook (though she has the lectures if she'd rather watch them on the computer.) She then does the problems in the book. If there's a problem she's having trouble with, she can watch that problem being explained on the computer. Which means it's OK if Mom doesn't have ANY idea of how to solve it, lol!

I found Algebra II tonight for $150. I sent an e-mail and am waiting to hear back. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

15. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

I was thinking maybe knowing that when you sell it you could tell the next person to call and get the
    another installation privilege for the next person. That is what I would do.. I am to honest when selling though I would hate for anyone to get screwed..KWIM....JUST A THOUGHT?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  16. jacqlyn00

jacqlyn00 New Member

I was looking into TT a little more and I think they look oh whats the word.... easy? My ds is finishing up 2nd grade Horizins MAth and the 5th grade TT doesnt look that much more advanced than what he's doing now. I think if their 4th grade curriculum was out now he could go right from 2nd grade Horizons to 4th Grade TT.
    Has anyone else noticed this?

17. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

I agree with you, Lisa. I wouldn't feel right selling it, knowing there might be a problem. I wonder what the company would say if someone called and said they had bought the program (legally) from a previous owner, and could they please have the pass. Also, Carl says it probably wouldn't be hard to get a bypass code off of the internet. I wouldn't feel bad doing that when it IS legal to sell it.

18. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

Yep that is my thought Jackie.. I have to admit this one has helped my kids alot..

If anyone knows or sees any used for sale and you are not getting it, would you please let me know? Or maybe we post it on here for others?
    THANKS

19. dawninns

dawninns New Member

I have a question for you guys. Does TT require an internet connection or does it access the internet during an installation?

20. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

By my understanding for Pre-Algebra and up you do not need the interenet? But for 5-7th it does say
    "Finally, you must have a high-speed internet connection to download the samples in a reasonable amount of time"

I could be wrong?????

21. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

What level, Lisa? I've seen pre-Algebra and Algebra I, while looking for my Algebra II.

You do NOT need any internet connection for the Geometry. I assume that's true for ALL CD's from pre-Algebra up.