Doctors told to "monitor homeschool patients"

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by DanielsMom, Feb 22, 2007.

1. DanielsMom

DanielsMom New Member

3. vantage

vantage Active Member

Thanks for posting this. THis actually gives me more concern about the HSLDA than it does the AAP. I'll explain.

I read what HSLDA had to say then went and read the entire article in the pediatric journal.

I think that overall it is a fairly well writen article. It seems that the intention of the article is to give a Dr. reading it a quick briefing on the overall topic of Homeschooling. It addresses most of the typical topics so as to prepare the reader for a conversation about Homeschooling.

I think that the article does a reasonable job of that, and stays very nuetral on the topic. The position taken is that HSing is somewhat new, and the limited research regarding issues of concern are not indicating a reason for the AAP to recommend against it.

There are a couple of valid points made that might be seen by some as an attack on Homeschooling. One is the fact that HS'ers do not have the benefit of the health screens that schools provide and the Dr's need to be more vigilent in this regard. Another is the fact that special needs children being homeschooled potentially miss out on some resources such that their health might be impacted.

I have to agree on those points. My sister has a special needs child and the amount of resources he has access to through the PS school system is enourmous. Physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and the list goes on.

The HSLDA is mentioned in the article as a resource.

I do not see where the HSLDA is taking a stand against the content of this article. To me it makes those in that organization who are making the stink seem to be looking for a fight, or like they see a monster under every rock.

Maybe they did not read the whole thing or did not expect me to. Hype like this is making me have doubts about that organization.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  4. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Vantage, do you have the link for that article? I'd like to read it.

I will agree that HSLDA can sometimes seem knee-jerk. And I read a report from another organization besides HSLDA, too. I could accept them being told to be diligent about screening for HS'ed kids, but the impression I got was they needed to be diligent about thier social development. And to me, that's WAY out of line! IF they have a concern, it shoud be based on the same evidence they would give to ANY child, HS'ed or not.

5. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

I agree with Jackie, I took my dd to the doctor twice this week and she thinks its wonderful we hs the girls. I think they need to watch all children hs or not.

6. Deena

Deena New Member

I wouldn't have concerns about HSLDA because of this one thing! They are trying to be vigilant, just as the author of this article is! They both feel that things need to be watched and info. needs to be gathered. I think HSLDA tries to react BEFORE someone else draws erroneous conclusions about what is being said. Which, when you know nothing about homeschooling, is easy to do! They're making sure the whole story is out there. That's the way I take it anyway.

I didn't find anything very offensive in the article. The only thing I had concerns about is what Jackie addressed---if you're diligent about homeschoolers social development, then be diligent about all kids social development!

I never thought about it before, since I've been going to the same doctor since before I had any children, but he asks about them every time I go in, and sounded a bit concerned when I said I was still homeschooling my 15yo. But he sees they are fine and developing normally, so he never says anything much.

7. vantage

vantage Active Member

Yes the S issue was mentioned along with others. It did not seem to me like over the top coverage however.

It was my impression that they were most concerned about special needs children, and their social dev.

The link I used to read the entire article is at the bottom of the HSDLA page that the original poster links to.

I quess what they are implying is that HS students do not get the screening by "trained" professionals year in and year out the PS and Private schooled students do.

Some here are teachers or were, while others likely have little to no respect for teachers overall. I am sure there would be a variation of opinions about the qualifications of teachers to screen students for social development problems, that are not caught by parents.

Not going there alone, no not I. :shock:

Okay I feel braver now, I think that teachers likely vary in there qualifications greatly as do parents. On the otherhand I feel that it is not unreasonable for the medical community to consider it wise for the MD to try to have increased awareness and watch for things that are not being double monitored by both parents and teachers.

THe AAP in my opinion is sorta saying that HS kids do not have the extra eyes watching for certain issues in addition to the parents' eyes, and in these cases the MD should pick up the slack, and take a bit more time as part of a comprehensive health care.

I do not see this as a slap in the face of homeschoolers, but rather a clinical acknowledgement that certain percentages of parents regardless of schooling choices will fail to recognize or under estimate some problems that their kids have.

I also have in the back of my head the fact that many perpetrators and parents who have taken off with kids will claim that they are being homeschooled.

edited to add: http://www.hslda.org/docs/link.asp?...rticleDetail.jsp?id=385844&pageID=1&sk=&date=

8. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Again, I would suggest that the medical doctors should be aware of this in ALL their patients. I don't want my kids asked anything that he wouldn't ask non-homeschoolers. Teachers vary in their ability to detect problems, as do parents.

9. Emma's#1fan

Emma's#1fan Active Member

Jackie, I couldn't agree more.
    Patty

10. Ava Rose

Ava Rose New Member

Exactly! I know kids who fell through the cracks in ps. Where were the peds then? Now, I am not offended by the article. I just think that doctors need to double monitar all their patients. My doctor never asks invasive questions or anything unusual because my kids are homeschooled. He simply takes care of all his patients. If our peds will scrutinize us more so will all docs...even ER docs. Yea, that is what I want...geesh. I already know of two people falsely accused of abuse by an ER nurse. Ok, that is a whole other story though and one that has nothing to do with homeschooling. However, that is way it should be. Homeschoolers should not be looked at in a different light.