Comb binding... go to Staples or buy one?

Discussion in 'Homeschooling' started by crazymama, Feb 27, 2010.

1. crazymama

crazymama Active Member

Hey I'm trying to decide if I should take a few things to Staples to get comb bound or if I should just buy a comb binding machine.

How much does Staples charge to bind something?

3. eyeofthestorm

eyeofthestorm Active Member

FWIW, I bought one - the smaller one that only does, I think, 85 pp or less. It was fine for the first year. Now I end up binding many of the books we print in three volumes. Originally, I just didn't think I'd print that many books with that many pages, but I was wrong.

4. crazymama

crazymama Active Member

I'm looking at one that does up to 300 pages for just under 100 on some online store..(forget what the site was now.. but google is my friend and I can find it again :) )

5. Birbitt

Birbitt New Member

Our Staples charges 3.50 to bind something that's more than 50 pages but less than 250 pages and then it's .50 for a clear cover and rigid backing.

6. crazymama

crazymama Active Member

Ok.. so I just found a binding machine on Ebay for 60 that does up to 250 pages... so for the cost of getting 15 things bound I can have my own machine and not have to travel to the next town over to get things done... hmmmmm should I or shouldn't I?

7. Lindina

Lindina Active Member

If I thought I would do that much comb binding, I'd do it! I've considered it before. Mostly when I need to make a book out of something, I 3-hole punch it for a ring binder OR one of those report covers from ACCO where you have the metal thingy that holds the pages and covers together and accommodates a couple or three inches of pages.

8. Birbitt

Birbitt New Member

I'd buy one, just for the convenience of it! I'd hate to have something I want to bind and have to travel a town over to get it done. I'm also one of those people who prepare things late at night, so I'd be annoyed at having to wait till morning to go get the binding done.

9. crazymama

crazymama Active Member

yeah I'm buying it... ugggg hubby will for sure shoot me some day. He said "Well honey you can sell it when you are done with it I guess." So I guess that means I can buy it ;)

10. chicamarun

chicamarun New Member

I got an inexpensive one from Staples on their "damaged table" and use it all the time. It wasn't damaged - just the box was :)

11. crazymama

crazymama Active Member

Yeah I just added up the things I have here right this minute I would love to be able to bind and I'm up to 12.. sooooo it will more than pay for itself.

12. cabsmom40

cabsmom40 Active Member

I have never thought of using that kind of machine, I just cut the binding off and hole punch it.

13. Andrea

Andrea New Member

I recommend just buying one. This is the one I just purchased. It was actually cheaper than any I saw on eBay. In addition, I was able to find an online coupon code for Mybinding.com.

14. Jen

Jen New Member

I bought a comb binding machine last summer and have yet to use it...

15. Minthia

Minthia Active Member

I have always wanted one....and I looked at them the other day...I am thinking I am going to have to get one because I have 21 "books" sitting right here that I have been meaning to get bound....

Where did you find yours?

16. Ohio Mom

Ohio Mom New Member

Andrea, where did you find a coupon. I like the one that you bought.

17. TeacherMom

TeacherMom New Member

I would probably bye one since you will no doubt use it for a lot of years! Then you can also use it for selling things you create yourself!

18. crazymama

crazymama Active Member

19. Minthia

Minthia Active Member

That's so funny! I bid an hour ago on one of their pink ones. :) I didn't realize they had a buy it now option or I would have done that! Oh well, I guess I will wait and see if I win the pink one.

20. crazymama

crazymama Active Member

lol.. I thought about the pink.. but it looks like it doesnt' come with any of the largest comb bindings..lol Silly right?

I hardly ever bid on anything, I click the buy it now tab and only look there..lol

21. Jamie

Jamie New Member

I have a bind-it-all that I really like. It's for wire binding. I have a comb binder too, but it's been stuck in storage for the past four years. I have the punch and the combs, but not the binder which stinks. I'd love to be able to use it again.

These things are so cheap now, I say go for it! I'll have to keep an eye out for them when I'm back in the states this summer.