Parents told they must stop HS'ing

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by Jackie, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

3. Jo Anna

Jo Anna Active Member

What the heck. I cannot believe that they could do that. I thought it was our right as parents to choose what is best for our children. If I was them I would move out of that state asap.
    Also I don't believe that that bill 777 is worth the paper they wrote it on. I mean exposing young children to that on a reg. basis will surely screw them up.
    I feel so bad for that family.

4. Actressdancer

Actressdancer New Member

Whoah..... I pray HSLDA intervenes quickly and can turn this around. This could set a dangerous precedent state-wide.

5. Emma's#1fan

Emma's#1fan Active Member

Interesting! I am wondering what option the parent was homeschooling under. Not that it would matter. I hope HSLDA helps out too.

6. bunnytracks

bunnytracks New Member

:shock: My jawdropped. I hope that this gets overturned or found unconstitutional otherwise I see a bad trickle effect on us all. :mad:

7. amylynn

amylynn New Member

Those poor kids are being "deprived" of situations in public school?! What crap! That's why the family is hs'ing in the first place! What gives a judge the right to say, this experience is more beneficial to your child then the one you are providing! :x These kind of htings make me so angry!

Amy

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Member

I hope they get this overturned....we (especially CA) is starting to lose what this nation stands for FREEDOM!!!

9. CrystalCA

CrystalCA New Member

Well Jackie..as you know I had to dig deeper to really "believe" this story. What I found was not a simple case.
    The eldest of the 3 children , that is involved in this case, turned in the father for " physical and mental abuse by the father". When Childrens services appear they found the children homeschooling to be" lousy, meager and bad".
    The father did not deny any of this!!
    When confronted by the question of why they homeschooled he 1st said, because of CA, then because of religious reasons and then finally "schools are full of snitches".
    The court ruling was for the safety of the children in that home not just because they homeschool.
    Please read the link:

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/opinions/documents/B192878.DOC

I don't agree with the court saying that an uncreditialed parent could not homeschool their own children but in this case of (alleged) abuse I believe the children needed to be in a public school, maybe the children could have received help sooner.

10. Actressdancer

Actressdancer New Member

I'm so glad you were able to find more. I looked and looked online but came up empty.

I still think it's a dangerous precedent. I hope they appeal and the language of the ruling is changed. I don't care about the outcome, just the language.

11. dawninns

dawninns New Member

I generally have a really hard time with giving any credibility to WND reports and dig as well Crystal. Thanks for the info. It does seem there's a real issue with homeschooling here however...But also that the case is much more complicated then WND would lead people to believe.

12. Emma's#1fan

Emma's#1fan Active Member

Thanks for the other link. I am with Amie. Hopefully the wording is changed.

13. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Thanks, Crystal! I was hoping someone from CA would know a bit more. I hadn't been able to find anything more on it!

14. becky

becky New Member

I also wondered what the parents had done to have it get this far.

15. ChelC

ChelC New Member

Be careful blaming parents until you are sure you have all the facts. I wonder how quickly some of us could be painted as bad parents and incompetent educators based on some officials warped opinion. If they are indeed abusive parents, then the issue should not be homeschool. This could be VERY bad for all homeschoolers. Unfortunately the state views our children as public property.

It's easy for us to dismiss for reasons which may or may not be true, but don't forget the same will be true for the general public when that wolf is at your door.

16. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

Crystal, thanks so much for looking this up.

17. P.H.

P.H. Active Member

ChelC, we came out at the same place on this one! Sometimes I think the wolf is closer than we'd like to think, and any time homeschooling can be linked to irresponsibility the better (for the wolf)--even though that's far from the norm in real homeschooling.

18. ochumgache

ochumgache Active Member

That's what I was thinking. The father was accused of physical and mental abuse, but the entire court record was about homeschooling. Shouldn't he be answering to the abuse charges? Or are they considering the fact that he homeschools his children abuse?

19. Ava Rose

Ava Rose New Member

THanks for the info. However, homeschooling has nothing to do with abuse. The more the two get put together the worse it will be. I have sympathy for any child in an abusive situation. I never think it would be allowed. yet, there is a part of me that gets ticked off that fingers are pointed at homeschoolers while many many children attending ps are still being abused. Clean up the kids "they" are responsible for first and then you can come knocking on my door.

20. becky

becky New Member

The problem comes in when abusive, neglectful parents use hsing to hide their crime.

21. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Was anything presented that showed these parents to be abusive and neglectful? There's plenty of kids in ps who have abusive, neglectful parents hiding their crimes. It's rare that hs'ing is used like that.