Oh Brother!

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by Deena, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Deena

Deena New Member

3. sevenwhiskers

sevenwhiskers New Member

better warn the garden stores next - wouldn't want our ladylike ears to be subjected to some old farmer guy asking for a cheap hoe. :twisted:

(obviously i agree with you on the level of ridiculousness in this whole overly PC stupidity)

4. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Lol!!!!

5. Actressdancer

Actressdancer New Member

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this whole thing was nutty. Let's hope this stays in Oz.

6. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

Deena, I seen that on the news last night and laughed so much it wasn't funny. What is this world coming too?

7. MonkeyMamma

MonkeyMamma New Member

Coomon sense is nonexistant these days.

8. Actressdancer

Actressdancer New Member

Next thing you know, dog breeders will have to stop using the proper term "bitch", Tyson will have to come up with a new name for "breasts", scandal will rock any store that dares sells aprons or skirts, and any mom who doesn't return to work within 3 weeks of childbirth will be given a social citation and her home will be picketed.

9. Healthy Skeptic

Healthy Skeptic New Member

10. Deena

Deena New Member

Really, I don't think we can say or do anything without offending someone! So what can we do? If we do nothing that will upset people, but if we do anything or something that'll offend people too! :eek:

11. hmsclmommyto2

hmsclmommyto2 New Member

Any woman who gets personally offended because she walked a a guy dressed as Santa & he said "ho ho ho", has some serious self-esteem issues to work out.
    How can someone find that offensive?
    Now, I can see being offended if Santa says "You're a HO HO HO", but otherwise......

12. Ava Rose

Ava Rose New Member

LOL!!!!! That is too funny.

I can't believe what this world is coming to. Just nuts.

13. Ava Rose

Ava Rose New Member

Did I just hear the news right or did a teacher get suspended for saying "eeny meeny miney moe"? What??? UGH...first Santa now this.

14. Deena

Deena New Member

Huh? I didn't hear that. What's that about?

15. sevenwhiskers

sevenwhiskers New Member

here's the story

y'know what? i was an adult before i knew that the rhyme originally contained the racial slur of "nigger" -- we all said "tiger" and that's all we knew it as....i wonder what the teacher actually used, as that's rather important.. or if he/she even used the whole thing, or even knew that there was anything racial to it -- he/she might be like i was and not known of it's origins at all, just thought it was a rhyme about catching a tiger or whatever.....

16. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Actually, the original rhyme goes back to the ancient Druids. It had to do with human sacrifice. Then the French brought the version we use today today to French Canada, and it migrated south. The French children would sing, "Cache tes poings derierre ton dos" (Hide your fists behind your back). The word "nigger" was added, I believe, during the time of the Underground Railroad. (I studied it for an American Folklore class

I'm assuming the teacher said "tiger". If so, the idiots who suspended her should be lined up and shot! I think ALL Mother Goose rhymes should be banned, then! I mean, if you look at their origin, they are nasty bits of work. How many think of the Black Death when they sing "Ring Around the Rosie", or the beheading of Mary Queen of Scots when they sing "Mistress Mary, Quite Contrary"?

17. vantage

vantage Active Member

Our Hatian freinds' children use versions of "eany meany".

I was a bit suprised the first time, but then noticed that they have several versions and/or verses, none of which are racists in the form they use.

18. sevenwhiskers

sevenwhiskers New Member

aaaaaah - cool, thanks for explaining it more... heh, now i can say i was 30 before i really really knew where it came from :lol:

19. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie
    Kissed the girls and made them cry
    When the boys came out to play
    Georgie Porgie ran away.

Well, any boy who sings THAT should be suspended and labeled a sexual predator!

20. sevenwhiskers

sevenwhiskers New Member

^^^^^ :lol:

oh dear. i taught that rhyme to ds last week :p ..we were sitting in the kitchen singing songs and rhymes and stuff and i remembered that one and sang it for him -- which he loved, because his cane is named 'george' (it's named because he was reluctant to use it at first, so we named it and now it's fun... 'let george find the step!' etc etc) :)

21. Deena

Deena New Member

Jackie, I agree! I'd also like to know what the teacher said exactly!