Another Contemporary Well-Known Family Homeschools!

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by JenniferErix, Mar 11, 2007.

1. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

However, ignorance abounds, even in the supposed "Educated Elite"!... sigh...

The late Steve Irwin's (Crockadile Hunder) daughter, Bindi, is homeschooled! << I love learning when present day "celebrities" or other "House-Hold-Names" are homeschooled.

Twice, when this fact was discussed on CNN's Larry King, the host immediately quips back, "What about friends? Do you have any friends?"

Sigh.....
    The hope that this prevailing misconception may go away soon, is a waaaaaays off, my friends......

3. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

The pediatrician asked Faythe once about her "friends", and Faythe wasn't sure what to say. (She's the one who has the most difficulty making friends, and there's no neighborhood kids her age). Well, she had just had her Birthday Party, so when she said, "I don't have any friends....", I asked her "Who all came to your Birthday Party?" OH!!! So then the pediatrician heard about Danielle and Hadassah from church, and Hannah from dance class, and her cousin, etc.

4. becky

becky New Member

I heard Larry King say, on Charlie Rose, that his kids attend public school. I guess the picture most people get of homeschooling is the child stuck at the dining room table all day, hunched over school work, you know?

What is Bindi- a first grader? Second, maybe?

5. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

Dunno, she is about 8, so that could be second, third...??

As her mom described it: She went to preschool and cried all the time, so they "STOLE" her teacher. She is homeschooled, but with a tutor. Which is totally cool.

If I had the money, I would hire tutors in specialized areas to teach my kids.

That would rock! To have a Juliard musician teach my kids violin, or have a Physics teacher teach my kids quantum physics! ONE-on-One! Hech Yea!

If I could do it, I know I would!!

As they say, "Good on Ya, Mate!"
    Good for them!

They also mentioned that she, Bindi, has a unique accent that is not a traditional Australian accent, and the mom, who is from Oregon says, that it is from growing up while traveling the globe.

FABULOUS!

And she has an incredible presence and manner about her. She communicates sooo well, not shy at all, but not obnoxious, either...... she was also on the show....

I bet this girl grows up to be awesome!
    Hahahah!

6. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

That is cool..I thought she might have been but I was not sure.Did you know that Will and Jada Smith also Homeschool?
    Blessings

http://icydk.com/2006/11/21/will-smith-home-schools-kids-because-he-can-teach-them-anything/

Will Smith refuses to send his two children with wife Jada Pinkett Smith to school, claiming the system limits their education. Smith insists he didn’t learn his most valuable lessons in school and claims there are no limits to what he can teach Jaden, eight; Willow, six; and his 14-year-old son Trey, from his marriage to Sheree Smith.

He says, “The date of the Boston Tea Party does not matter. I know how to learn anything I want to learn. I absolutely know that I could learn how to fly the space shuttle because someone else knows how to fly it, and they put it in a book. Give me the book, and I do not need somebody to stand up in front of the class.”

Here is an excerpt from his interview with Readers Digest:

RD: Have you ever thought about going back to college?
    Smith: The things that have been most valuable to me I did not learn in school. Traditional education is based on facts and figures and passing tests — not on a comprehension of the material and its application to your life. Jada and I homeschool our children, because the date of the Boston Tea Party does not matter.

RD: But there are some basics in education that need to be taught.
    Smith: Of course there are. Reading, writing and arithmetic, because those are the languages of our country.

RD: When you say you homeschool, do you mean you actually teach them?
    Smith: No, we have hired teachers who teach what we feel is important. For example, Plato’s Republic — kids need to know that. Why is that not taught in first grade?

RD: You think kids in elementary school should read Plato’s Republic?
    Smith: Yeah. You cannot be an American without reading it and Aristotle’s Politics. That is what the forefathers of this country read, and they used them to create what I believe is the finest system of government that has ever existed.

RD: So, you don’t see any reason to go back to a formal education yourself?
    Smith: I know how to learn anything I want to learn. I absolutely know that I could learn how to fly the space shuttle because someone else knows how to fly it, and they put it in a book. Give me the book, and I do not need somebody to stand up in front of the class.

RD: They put physics in a book, but I know I could never be a physicist.
    Smith: The first step is you have to say that you can.

Source

What do you think about homeschooling? I was homeschooled for about 6 years… and I didn’t like it. Now that I have kids of my own, I can see how having daily social interaction is VERY IMPORTANT… and you just don’t get that being homeschooled. With that said, public and private schools aren’t perfect either - I just think homeschooling your kids can be detrimental to a childs development. But - that’s just my opinion.

7. Julie

Julie New Member

Who said that? LOL that's one of the funniest things I've heard in years!!

8. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Absolutely daily social interaction is VERY IMPORTANT!!! That's why I my children interacting with me, one another, and other children on a daily basis!

And from all I hear, public schools seem to be what's detrimental to a child's development!

9. Julie

Julie New Member

*laughing* excellent point!!

10. Hippychick

Hippychick New Member

That is so true, That is why we homeschool. People are so funny, They really just don't get it. But it is not for everyone either.
    Blessings

11. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

Here is the comment I left...
    (I think I will add it to my tagline and a bumpersticker...if I can shorten it...)

Those who say that home-schooled kids are denied a normal social life only succeed in proving that their public school education taught them nothing about how to effectively research a given topic. BAMB!

Dayng I am funny tonight....
    hahahah!

12. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

Bwaaa haaaa haaa!

Check this out.....
    Click Here

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  13. dalynnrmc

dalynnrmc New Member

hahaha!

Thanks for the link. ;)

14. becky

becky New Member

Did Will Smith sound goofy to anyone else?? Is he saying his kids don't need to know common things like history??

15. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

No, not goofy, but I don't consider him a homeschooler. He has hired tutors for his children. They are getting a very exclusive private education. I doubt either he or his wife is sitting down and making any hard decisions concerning which curriculum to get, etc. The difference between what he does and what we do is the same difference as between public education and a very expensive prep school.

16. becky

becky New Member

I took his comments to mean he thought the Boston Tea Party wasn't important- things of that nature weren't important. See what I'm saying? He sounded warped in what he wanted them to learn.

I'm with you, though. I don't see them as homeschoolers. All child actors get tutors while they're working, and this is the same thing. However, there are days I'd like to hire tutors!!

17. timkelmom

timkelmom New Member

I heard John Travolta recently say in an interview that his kids were homeschooled as well. I believe he said they also have a tutor, but he was very proud of his child and how bright she was.

18. southernmom

southernmom New Member

That's kind of my take - in one sense of the word they are homeschooled but in reality they really just have the financial means to hire a professional to teach their child - to me that just amounts to having your own private school with a paid teacher that only teaches your child(ren). Of course, gives them the same flexibility of homeschoolers but I still see it in a different light.
    Ann

19. momothem

momothem New Member

I think I took what he said differently. I thought he meant, dates and such of historic events were less important to him than the "big" picture of history, historical relevence and context, as you can just look-up any particulars that you need ot know.
    Just my take.

20. Ava Rose

Ava Rose New Member

When I first heard of homeschooling, that is what I thought. I remember thinking that it must be so boring for the kids. So, I have to remember how I saw it when I hear what others say. I mean, it is a valid question. We all want friends. How can a child grow up socially equipped if he or she is home all day? So, once we, as homeschoolers, shed light on socialization, maybe those old thoughts will be renewed. Perhaps not, but we do need to have an understanding and kind answer for those who just simply don't understand. I mean the thought of my mom homeschooling me makes me want to vomit. lol.

21. Ava Rose

Ava Rose New Member

Sonlight and some other history curriculums do not focus on dates but time periods. KNowing a time period gives you a better overall understanding and a context to put certain events in. However, learning dates is also important...I think the difference is making sure your understanding of history is more balanced and rounded. Sounding off a date, doesn't tell ya much. However, I do think that dates and time periods need to be taught.