Memorizing

Discussion in 'Homeschooling' started by Momnmesa, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Momnmesa

Momnmesa New Member

I want to enhance my son's memory. Does anyone have suggestions for a book with short poems or scripture? Maybe other ideas?

3. Mom2ampm

Mom2ampm New Member

I don't have any good ideas...

but I would love to hear a few too! My dd has trouble memorizing things. She remembers her spelling words easily but things like addition facts she struggles with remembering!

4. Trudy Powell

Trudy Powell New Member

Wondering if this would help...

Kids (and adults) learn and memorize things put to a tune (i.e. commercial jingles). There are many educational-type products on the market with facts, figures, math, history, scripture, etc. put to song. I think this might be a great way to help kids remember things. I still can sing many of the School House Rock songs that were on between Saturday morning cartoons when I was growing up. Just a thought.

5. Mom2ampm

Mom2ampm New Member

I ordered...

addition math songs and addition rock vhs tape but dd thinks they are boring. I have to FORCE her to listen/watch them and I don't think she has learned anything from them, but I was very hopeful. I think she learns best through kinesthetic? I know she is not auditory. I also tried mneumonics addition and I couldn't get her interested. It is working well w/ ds. He is using a mneumonics program for number recognition.

Still would love to hear some more ideas about memorizing!

6. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

I would think almost any poem that she found enjoyable. Start with "silly" ones, such as:

I never saw a Purple Cow
    I never hope to see one.
    But this I'll tell you anyhow
    I'd rather see one than be one.

OR:

See that birdie in the sky?
    He dropped something in my eye!
    Me no worry, me no cry,
    Me just know that cows don't fly!

I've found the "Read-Aloud Poems For Young Readers: An introduction to the Magic and Excitement of Poetry", edited by Glorya Hale, is an excellent all-'round poetry book. It has good stuff for young ones, yet "classical" poems, too, such as "Barbara Frietchie", "Oh Captian! My Captain!" and "I Hear America Singing".

7. becky

becky New Member

We use Rock& Learn tapes and videos. It's subjects like math, states and capitals, etc., set to rock music. It goes from preschool on up. I'm 39 years old, and I could never remember that poem about the days in a month until Jeannie wore out their Telling Time video!