Geometry Help Please

Discussion in 'Homeschooling' started by LisaM, Jun 30, 2004.

1. LisaM

LisaM New Member

My daughter is in 6th grade, and we have hit a snag with her math. For the past 3 years we were using Singapore, but it turned out to not be for us. This year, we are using Heath for our math. I am not familar with geometry or anything beyond that point. My husband is currently helping her with math and he says, it will soon be beyond his capabilitiy to teach her.
    Can anyone suggest a program/curriculum that teaches just geometry, and is user friendly? Just how much should she know about geometry in 6th grade?
    What should I do when she gets to a point where we can no longer help her with her math? A few homeschool moms told me they went as far as they could and then let the college teach the rest. What are some of your opinions on this matter?

TIA,
    LisaM

3. Brooke

Brooke New Member

I am sure I am not the best to answer this question, but I'll try to ease your mind a bit. My oldest is 8, so I haven't encountered teaching 6th grade yet, but I remember what we covered when I was that age. I think we did the basics, like radius, diameter, total surface area, and volume. We didn't start having to do "proofs" until high school geometry.

If I come across anything that looks like 6th grade level with just geometry, I'll be sure to post it.

4. Brenda

Brenda Active Member

Scholar's Road Math Curriculum for grade 6

Well Lisa,
    I was going to suggest a progam we have here (mind you it meets Canadian teaching standards) and I was going to offer to copy some of it for you, but we're in the process of packing (we're moving) and duh! to me, all my home school stuff is packed!

From what I can remember about my oldest son being in grade six last year, the math really wasn't that hard (he thought otherwise, but he doesn' like putting too much effort into anything but art and looks for the shortest way out) - take some extra time with what ever you choose and you'll re-teach yourself (doesn't most of the curriculum have a teacher's guide that walks you through it? - I'm not familiar with all curriculum - just A/O).

Anwya, we'll be moved by the end of this month. If you would like a copy of the stuff I have, let me know and I'll gladly send it along (I mght even be able to dig it out of the box it's packed in - most of the boxes are labelled so I have a good idea where to find it).

Best of luck,
    Brenda

PS The name of the Curriculum book is Scholar's Road It is Canadian based and so the measurments may be off from what you guys use (but it gives a general idea of what you would need to complete the math). If you go to Yahoo and do a search "Scholar's+Road" it will come up with all kinds of stuff - just look for the grade six math link. If I find it in the mean time, I'll post the website...

5. Brenda

Brenda Active Member

Found a website for you

Lisa,
    If you go to http://www.edhelper.com/math_grade6.htm and scroll down on the page there is a section about geometry there with links you can access (and there are other math related link on the entire page too).

I did the search through google because yahoo found me a bunch of Canadian websites that would probably be of little use to you. Hope this helps.
    Brenda

6. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

Have you checked out on-line options? I know Alpha-Omega has an "on-line school", and so do other places. You might be able to sign up just for the math. I've not done any looking into it, as my child isn't "there" yet, but I also have some concerns in that area! Calvert also goes through 8th grade; again, I don't know what they offer as far as individual classes go.

7. HeidiPA

HeidiPA New Member

I know that Abeka has video courses. We've seen the sample, and it's just like a classroon setting, complete with teacher and students. And, Bob Jones has a satellite program.
    I made it all the way through to Trigonomety in High School. But, I was just discussing with a friend this morning, how I haven't retained any of that! Fortunately, I have an aunt who is a high school level math teacher. So, I'm planning to look to her for extra help when we get to the "upper" maths!

8. TinaTx

TinaTx New Member

Hi Lisa...

I can try and help. :wink: Most younger grade math curriculums have geometry as part, like a chapter or two, of their overall math curriculum, including Calvert, the one I'm using. Its not of course, until high school that is becomes a separate subject, I mean studied by itself. I was also reading somewhere that American based math curriculums are the only ones that do that. mmmm! :shock:

Any-oh-hoo! I like a spiral approach to Math as opposed to mastery of concept. Yes I have a gifted son who does like mastery approach, but I always have the option of adding more review with spiral curriculums if I see the need too. (MY need too LOL) So thats why I chose Calvert math. Its more of a spiral approach as opposed to Singapore which is more mastery of concept. In otherwords, geometry is added each year, building and reviewing from the previous year.

Calvert math is stand alone from the rest of the curriculum. You can order the math and teacher's manuals, complete with answers. In addition, the eduction counselors are free of charge. They are teachers who can be called at an 800 # anytime during the normal business hours. Other than the lesson manual being a *soul saver* :D I decided to stick with Calvert because of that very point of being able to call them and get advise, tips,suggestions and *basically how do I do this?*. I don't really consider math my strong point, even though it seems to be ds. Math is dh strong point. But, when you ask him *how did you get that answer,to explain to the boys* Well thats a different story! :roll: :wink: So because of that and the fact Calvert does go to 8th grade I'm using them because of the amount of review, good manuals and phone calls just minutes away.

I know Calvert teaches geometry generally on the levels below. Maybe, that can help you see how much a sixth grader could know. Remember now this is a spiral approach so basically from the beginning they start geometry, which I'm sure you know, but along in 3rd grade, they step it up a tad..Heres the basic outline as I have it written down (since I had checked into this too before I orered Calvert)

3rd grade
    Begin to introduce line segments as opposed to line
    introduction to angles(right,obtuse and actute)
    introduce that they can be measured (but measuring is saved to 5th grade)
    ds is already measuring them so :roll: :)
    Just being sure they understand differences between flat and solid shapes
    Also introduce line of symmetry
    Even though congruent is introduced in K, each grade builds more and more
    on congruent.

4th grade
    angles (acute,obtuse, right)
    polygons
    quadrilaterals
    pentagons
    lines of symmetry
    simple point on grid
    Here again, review of solid shapes

5th grade
    measuring angles
    ideas for drawing circles (radius and diameter)
    more angle review
    rays
    construct angles
    again more on congruent
    symmetry, much more complex
    Also how you can slide, flip and turn figures

6th grade
    Starts off with review of basic terms learned over the past few years
    intersecting parallel lines
    classifying angles,acute,obtuse
    further study of different triangles and quadrilaterals(you know squares,etc.)
    measuring/drawing
    construction of circle
    using compass to create one of similar size
    bisectors
    translations,reflextions,rotations of shapes (like the flipping,sliding and turning)
    bisectors

Also, I guess I didn't know if you were looking for a whole new curriculum or help in geometry or both? LOL So in addition to the math I use, I have heard about 1-2-3 Math. I have never used it. But it suppose to be like ALL geometry in one place instead of scatterd about like most math curriculums like to do. So maybe that might be one possibility of helping her until you decide what you want to do. I have not check all the good math websites, but there has to be some good review on geometry, especially if you want to to switch curriculums.

But the problem you present is one I could foresee happening to us :wink: I completely understand. So I always feel more comfortable with a math curriculum that I can ask questions on to be sure *I* understand since it will one of my weakest points. Even having the answers does not help a lot of times in more advanced math, or for me anyway. :roll:

BTW, I have also heard good things about Rod and Staff math. Their teacher's manuals are suppose to be good. Here again though for ME only, the disadvantage is not being able to call and ask questions.

Does this help any?

Blessings
    TinaTx

9. LisaM

LisaM New Member

Thank you guys for all your help and advice. I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to any of you before now, but for two days I couldn't get on the website. It must have been down or something.
    She had her evaluation today and her evaluator suggested a few things for math. I will have a lot to check out. Thanks again...

LisaM

10. Leah

Leah New Member

Lisa-
    You might like the "Key-To" series. . ..very user friendly, and one subject at a time.
    Leah E