Nim's Island

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by daddys3chicks, Apr 7, 2008.

1. daddys3chicks

daddys3chicks New Member

We went to see this today and loved it!

I especially loved the fact that when nim is narrating at the beginning of the movie she says "I don't go to school. You see I'm homeschooled - well island schooled." She talks about how she learned to swim from the seal and the things she learned from the pelican and living life.

Then she says everything else she needed to learn she got from the books she reads. It was fantasy, but what a positive take on homeschooling!

3. MonkeyMamma

MonkeyMamma New Member

Oh thanks for the review! This movie looks fantastic and I can't wait to see it!

4. dalynnrmc

dalynnrmc New Member

Thanks for the review!

5. Ava Rose

Ava Rose New Member

Thanks for the review...I thought the movie looked so cool! Maybe we will go see it on dh's vacation next week.

6. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

thanks alot my girls want to see know what we are doing the middle of this week.

7. rmcx5

rmcx5 New Member

I bought my oldest the book this weekend. Told her we'd go see it as soon as she read the book :lol: :lol:
    It's so short compared to other books she's reading that I'm sure she'll read it in one evening.

Glad to hear it's worth it....I want to see it myself!

8. Jennifer R

Jennifer R Active Member

I didn't realize that this is also a book! I mentioned it to Joyce and she was like "Okay, I know where you are going with this - Bridge to Terabitia and if I want to see the move I have to read the book". My poor mistreated child!

9. Jennifer R

Jennifer R Active Member

Rhonda, your post is funny because I didn't read yours until after I had sent mine! Great minds think alike!

10. MonkeyMamma

MonkeyMamma New Member

What a fantastic idea!

I didn't even think to have her read the book first like I often do. I guess I didn't realize there was a book.

11. Jennifer R

Jennifer R Active Member

Tiffany, I don't know what made think to look, it just popped in my head earlier. Last year we read Bridge to Terabithia and then went to see it. This treat was even more special because we very rarely go to the movies and then it is the $1 ones. After seeing the movie she took it a step further and made a clubhouse the way she imagined she would do one for herself.

12. daddys3chicks

daddys3chicks New Member

I am doing it backwards. We saw the movie and then I reserved the book at the library. My oldest DD has been put off reading by the Accelerated Reader goals in PS.

I figured if she saw the movie first, she would be more interested in the book. And then she can tell me the ways the movie and the book differed.

13. amylynn

amylynn New Member

I'm glad this is a good movie, you just can't tell anymore from the previews. Even with kids movies!

Amy

14. ABall

ABall Super Moderator

my mom said she wants to take the kids to see it.... I'm not holding my breath. (her promises don't pan out sometimes)

15. Earthy

Earthy New Member

Thanks for the info on it.

16. sloan127

sloan127 Active Member

We saw Nim's Island Sunday afternoon and Emily loved it. She had been waiting for it to come out and was so excited. It was cute but I wanted more. I wasn't ready for it to be over.

17. Frugalcountrymom

Frugalcountrymom New Member

thanks for the review I was not really excited about seeing it but if she is homeschooled :)

thanks

Sam

18. jnicholl

jnicholl New Member

I'm so gald to hear that she mentions that she's homeschooled. My dd5 can't wait to see it. She says that when she is older she is going to live in the jungle and work there and she will have all animal friends. She came up with this before the movie even came out! She's probably going to think, "This is my life!" I think that she will be entralled with this movie. I can't wait to take her to see it! Thanks for the great info on it!

19. Twice

Twice New Member

Thanks for the review. I've seen the trailer but needed a 'word of mouth review'.

20. Earthy

Earthy New Member

We just saw this movie a couple weeks ago.

Could have done without:
    -Jodie Foster in the bathtub
    -The mother being dead
    -cursing
    -The dad 'possibly' getting together with the lady in the end
    -The lizard catapulting through the air
    -Overacted, making it bad acting all round

What were the directors thinking? I feel it really missed out on what the book had to offer. Irks me that their can be no married couple, with no death, in a kids movie.

One good thing about it, if you can believe that after all I said. LOL Abigail didn't sit around all day and play video, she was a young girl with an imagination, played with animals, creative, etc.

Not worth buying, rent it.

21. Twice

Twice New Member

Nellie, thanks for your input.