The Learning Channel Shooting HS Show On Google Video!

Discussion in 'Homeschooling in the News' started by JenniferErix, Oct 29, 2006.

1. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

I stumbled upon this and thought it was interesting...

It seems that there is a family of 13 children, all homeschooled, who are being highlighted on the Learning Channel in January.

Apparently the family had someone with a video camera taping the taping, as it were. And they posted their tapes on google video. There seems to be about 10-15 of these on the same family while being filmed for the channel.

If you click on the links below, it will take you to the video of the mom discussing with the film crew, in a food store, how she shops for such a large family.

Just to the right of this video clip are some words that you can click on to find the rest of their videocasts...

You should be able to click on the words "[SIZE=-1]From User". And this should open up a list of the rest of their videocasts, right there, on the right hand side.

Anyway, after all the talk about how shows like Dr. Phil treat homeschoolers, I thought it was cool to watch same tapes of a show as it was being filmed. You know?

I wonder how it will turn out?

Here is the link:
    [/SIZE]
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8261658355664617503

Here is the two year old being interviewed... or I should say, "Being told what to say" for the camera...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2632729400047600348

Here is one of the family durring "Class" with their prayer. How strange that must have ben with a film crew there, eh?
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=121121502444548674

I just hope this ends up being good for the homeschool world, and not another bashing...

[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

3. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

4. MonkeyMamma

MonkeyMamma New Member

Hey Jen - speaking of the Dr. Phil show.... it wasn't aired on Friday. It was about Katrina. Wonder if it ever will be aired?

5. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

Yea, hon. There was a whole thing about it being canceled on many blogs, like this one....
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/spunkyhomeschool/225921/

Apparently, or I should say, "Perhaps" the show got wind of the homeschool community's strength and ability to spread the word, when anyone gives us cr*p, eh?

Dunno.
    Everyone is specuating on why it was pulled.

This new thing, I just stumbled upon.
    In the family's website, they say that the learning channel told them that they want to get back to their original purpose, which was "Learning" stuff. And that people are asking more and more about learning stuff. So supposedly, this is supposed to be an educational study of one family that homeschools. Maybe it will be not for or against homeschooling, but just an expose about what this one family does.

Dunno...

Just thought I would post the links so that you guys can see the behind the scenes stuff. I though it was cool.

6. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

I wanted to make clear that I was not slamming this family for being on tv. I was actually excited that HS'ing is being highlighted again. I think my original post came across weird.

Anway....
    I believe the homeschooling family (I forgot their name) who had the two TV specials (I think) called "Fifteen and pregnant again" (Or something like that).... I think they were produced by the Learning Channel; (KAK: TLC), But I cannot be sure.

I know that particular program series of two shows was, in my oppinion, done very tastefully. So I am hoping that this one is done in a similar vein.

Again, just thought ya'll would want to check out the behind the scenes tapes! I thought it was cool!

7. bugsmommy

bugsmommy New Member

Yeah---i have seen their specials ( I think that they have 3 of them ) portraying this family--their name is Michelle and JimBob Duggar and they do have a website--you would have to google their name. Anyhow, I think they have 17 children now! They really give a wonderful example of large families, Christianity and homeschooling! I just LOVE watching the shows!
    Blessings,
    Shawna

8. Syele

Syele New Member

Oh yeah, I saw those specials. I let Sami watch them and she LOVES them. On the downside, She begs for siblings after watching them. LOL

I'll have to go check out the youtube ones. they sound interesting.

9. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

This is strictly my opinion. I don't think it HAS been pulled. I think they've put it on the back burner until all the flack settles down. A few months from now, this will be "old news" to the homeschool community, and everyone will be happy that they made their point to Dr. Phil, and "made him back down", etc. THEN Dr. Phil will pull this program out of its file and show it, blindsiding us all. From everything I've read, it would be just like him.

10. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

Jackie, I have to agree with you 100 percent. I do't watch Dr. Phil and wouldn't after reading this.
    we all should let him know how we feel.

11. Connie

Connie New Member

we live not too far from the dugger framily, but we have never met them, only watched them on tv. by the way did anyone watch that first video clip of the lady in the grocery store...she said she keeps her grocery bill under $700 a month...including diapers and cleaning supplies for 15 people!!!! thats more than double my family and it looked like she had 3 in diapers!! holy cow i could learn somthing from her!

12. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

Girl, I think you are right on!

I had not realized how cheap the Dr. Phil show had become (When it first aired, I thought it was a cut above the rest) until I watched this week, waiting for news about the HS episode.

What shocked me, was that he has allowed his producers to do the "Overt Staging" of these prop vidoes of these people. Just like Jerry Springer used to do.

For example, they do the dramatic camera angle of someones face, while they say something stupid and threatening with a smart-butt gangsta' style tone. WOW.

Seriously, all these shows are bunk, however, I would argue that his first season, he DID kick but and "Got Real". Buit now, he is just wollowing in the muck that seems to befall all tv talk show hosts.

I am not sure, but other than ratings dropping, did Phill Donohue (SP?) suffer the same fate? (ie: Did he get sleazy, towards the end of his show?) I ask, because I know his rating droped, but I always thought his show was canceled due to ratings that were due to him NOT being like Springer and the like.

Geesshh!
    I just realized how much none of this matters!
    hahahah!

jen

13. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

I remember them, now!

Thanks!
    And I agree! Some people, who may look over my shoulder call them "Weird", but I thought the Duggers were inspiring!

14. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

Oh!
    I know how she feels!
    I was a singleton and it is true... You always want what you don't have. But she has you! And that is awesome!

jen

15. JenniferErix

JenniferErix New Member

I had three babies in diapers once.
    I quickly researched the current technology for cloth diapering and made the switch. I loved it! I was a breast feeding, cloth diapering, homemade-bread making momma! hahha!

But my famliy thinks that makes me wierd.
    oh well...

(Edited to add: They used to call me "Cave Woman!" hahahaha!)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  16. Jackie

Jackie Active Member

I tried a diaper service when Rachael was born, Jen. It pulled out of central Ohio by the time she was about 5 months old. And I was working full-time, so there was NO WAY I wanted to invest my time washing diapers daily!

I use to watch Phil as a kid, back when he was local out of Dayton, Ohio. (*I* was the kid, not him, lol!) I use to really enjoy him. He had some interesting people on. My brother watched him when Francies Schaeffer was on. I would have liked to see that, because Schaeffer was such a brilliant man. I guess Phil tried to get him flustered, and Schaeffer simply wouldn't bite and continued to make his points. I think Phil became to big for his britches and lost his focus once he went national.

17. KrisRV

KrisRV New Member

Amen, well said Jackie

18. TeacherMom

TeacherMom New Member

These were nice clips but I did not see anything but the prayer that had to do with thier actual school time, I wish I had learning channel so someone watch it and tell me how it went!

19. kbabe1968

kbabe1968 New Member

Sniff, Sniff. I love the Duggers! They are such an inspiration! I like the light in which they are shown too, never in a bad light...always objective curiosity. I love that.

Gosh...I'm only doing two right now, can you imagine homeschooling that many????

I love watching them, they are such an inspiration.

20. Syele

Syele New Member

thanks jen. :) I was a "lonely only" too so I remember longing for someone to play with. I think he begging only makes me sad because *I* want more kids so badly. :oops: I think I like watching these large familys so much because I want to be them LOL.