PDA

View Full Version : Huckabee supported by HSLD

aggie01
12-18-2007, 08:57 AM
http://http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/17/us/politics/17huckabee.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

“Mike is the kind of candidate we have hoped for,” said Michael Farris, an evangelical Christian and chairman of the Home School Legal Defense Association, a group that defends parents’ rights to educate their children at home. “He’s a man who shares a world view with evangelical Christians.”

While we are at it here is his Christmas ad
http://http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=920

:p

Actressdancer
12-18-2007, 09:10 AM
The link to the Christmas ad isn't working for me.

InEdensBliss
12-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Woo hoo!!! I just stuck my I (heart) Huckabee bumper sticker on my van last night :) That's music to my ears!!

sixcloar
12-18-2007, 10:22 AM
Woo hoo!!! I just stuck my I (heart) Huckabee bumper sticker on my van last night That's music to my ears!!Were did you get that sticker?

InEdensBliss
12-18-2007, 09:15 PM
This WONDERFUL website cafepress.com I also got a sticker that says the title of my blog: "I homeschool because I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children!" I got a bumper sticker and a button for my mom that says, "It takes a Clinton to clean up after a Bush." Now that's unconditional love right there...She's a Clinton supporter and I still love her ;)

She
12-18-2007, 09:25 PM
My buddy, Chuck, supports Huckabee.
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/archives.asp?AUTHOR_ID=274

Spinning
12-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Actressdancer-I think this one works:

http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Blogs.View&Blog_id=920

Very cool!:lol:

sixcloar
12-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I saw the Christmas ad on YouTube.

dawninns
12-19-2007, 06:39 AM
He's also got the endorsement of the NEA. Strange bedfellows.

Actressdancer
12-19-2007, 09:00 AM
He made the cover of Newsweek this week. Saw it last night at the grocery store.

Actressdancer
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
This WONDERFUL website cafepress.com I also got a sticker that says the title of my blog: "I homeschool because I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children!" I got a bumper sticker and a button for my mom that says, "It takes a Clinton to clean up after a Bush." Now that's unconditional love right there...She's a Clinton supporter and I still love her ;)

I LOVE cafepress. That's where I get all my pro-breastfeeding and babywearing stuff. I got a onsie for my middle son that said "My mommy is boobylicious" from them. I've gotten lots of other stuff, but that was my favorite so far.

InEdensBliss
12-19-2007, 09:26 AM
Hahah...that is awesome!! I'm getting a shirt for my 6 year old that says, "Homeschooled girl" that she picked out and a onsie for my boy that says, "Future homeschooler" :) They gotta match!

She
12-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Mike also make the cover of World magazine this week.
Then of course there is this one...a little hokey but...cute
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDUQW8LUMs8&feature=user

Actressdancer
12-19-2007, 11:27 AM
ROFL!!! The Chuck Norris ad is awesome! I'm a personal fan of Chuck Norris jokes. And I like that there are candidates out there who can still have fun.

She
12-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Chuck is SUPER nice!!! Beautiful wife and super sweet kids! All very Christian and proud of it!

My brother is a big fan of Chuck Norris and he thought it was pretty awesome that I know him (in person). lol

aggie01
12-19-2007, 02:53 PM
LOL, Ya'll are to funny.

dawninns
12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
I am going to inject some Huckabee scepticism. Here's a good article (http://spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com/2007/12/huckabee-and-homeschoolers.html) on him by a nice conservative Christian woman.

I'm such a spoilsport! :p

She
12-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh please I think they all have their faults and it is more of a job of picking the one with the lesser. ROFL

I mean geez ole Gov. Rick Perry mandated the HPV vaccine before he even thought about the ramifications and the homeschoolers support him just not that dumb decision. But...with that said I see why he did because by mandating it the poor can get them and if it is optional they can't. I hate politics!

aggie01 why are we so funny? I must have missed that. Did you go to school at A&M? Just wondering by your user name.

sixcloar
12-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Oh please I think they all have their faults and it is more of a job of picking the one with the lesser.

Exactly, Huckabee's stance on other issues is what makes him the candidate for me.

Jackie
12-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Thanks, Dawn! It's good to hear both sides! I find it interesting that the NEA and HSLDA both are supporting the same guy.

Though Carl made an interesting point about that. He's wondering if they don't want Hillary for Pres, and as such they are throwing their support to the Republican candidate that they think can't beat Hillary, or some such.

dawninns
12-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Oh please I think they all have their faults and it is more of a job of picking the one with the lesser. ROFL

:D

I just thought I'd through it in. Heck, I'm not even American...Just find following this interesting!

dalynnrmc
12-20-2007, 02:12 AM
I probably won't vote for Huckabee because I don't agree with him on some other key issues, but I did read this week in a yahoogroup something about Huckabee's past legislation in Arkansas. Something about a deadline to turn in your paperwork, and having to wait 2 weeks before you can pull a child out of public school to homeschool - when they don't have that 'wait' time to pull out and put the child in a private or patriochal school.

But, if you're considering him and that would make a difference, you'll have to google it. I saw it on a local group, and the lady voicing her opinion didn't give any links or reference points. She DID say something about NEA endorsing both he and Hillary Clinton... which I also find odd.

Smiling Dawn
12-21-2007, 07:45 AM
http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=59302

Here is an article addressing the NEA...

Jackie
12-21-2007, 08:04 AM
The gal Dawn linked to has some more interesting stuff on the topic. http://www.spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com/

You know what I'd like? I'd love for Mike to read this conversation and comment on it!

MamaBear
12-21-2007, 09:11 AM

I have never seen that bumper sticker, neat!

MamaKittyCat
12-21-2007, 09:49 AM
The gal Dawn linked to has some more interesting stuff on the topic. http://www.spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com/

You know what I'd like? I'd love for Mike to read this conversation and comment on it!

I would, too!

Emma's#1fan
12-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for all the links. I have enjoyed reading them as well as the posts.
Patty

Emma's#1fan
12-21-2007, 12:42 PM
I have been reading more articles at HSLDA and NEA. They are very informative.
This is from Huckabee's site. He states that he is for the parent's right to homeschool their child.
Still, the idea both HSLDA and NEA supporting him baffles me. Perhaps they feel out of all of them, he will do what is best in education for all concerned.:confused:
Patty
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Issues.View&Issue_id=7

aggie01
12-23-2007, 07:39 AM
aggie01 why are we so funny? I must have missed that. Did you go to school at A&M? Just wondering by your user name.

sorry it took so long, I like the cafepress t-shirts and such, I should have quoted them in the reply.

Also I am an Aggie Grad class of '01 WHOOP!

aggie01
12-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks for all the links. I have enjoyed reading them. I like to be informed, it is terrible that not a single person is perfect in all ways.

dawninns
12-30-2007, 07:17 AM
I have been reading more articles at HSLDA and NEA. They are very informative.
This is from Huckabee's site. He states that he is for the parent's right to homeschool their child.
Still, the idea both HSLDA and NEA supporting him baffles me. Perhaps they feel out of all of them, he will do what is best in education for all concerned.:confused:
Patty
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Issues.View&Issue_id=7

I'm beginning to think it's not the homeschooling that got Huckabee the HSLDA's support but the other conservative issues that the HSLDA lobbies for, which is weird. In my biased and cynical eye it might show that the homeschooling aspect is simply a hook for membership dues to support a very conservative and more general political agenda.

Anyhow, the homeschooling blogs, even the very conservative ones, are starting to dig into this issue...

HSLDA Politics? (http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/JacqueDixonSoulRestES/451888/)

Shake ups within HSLDA (http://www.eduwrit.com/blog/?p=976)

the sneaky mama
12-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I agree with you dawninns. . .LOL. . .except it doesn't baffle me. I think if Hilary were to win, our rights as homeschoolers would be severely limited. They support Huckabee in part bc he is ultra conservative and they feel he will be Clinton should it come to that. (This was in the original e-mail endorsing him.) They posit that a moderate conservative has NEVER beaten a dem. . .which is true. So it is their belief that the best option for beating Hilary is an uber-conservative.

dawninns
12-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Isn't education a state matter? How would a win by Hilary affect that?

Personally I think the strategy isn't something that seems helpful in the long run. There is already talk in the press that equates homeschoolers with right wing christianity and a 'one mind' mentality. The strategy seems to have the possible affect of confirming the worst fears some people have about homeschooling.

I don't know who I'd vote for if I were American. I used to vote along conservative lines (used to be active in conservative party politics in fact) here in Canada but I've given that up.

Actressdancer
12-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Isn't education a state matter? How would a win by Hilary affect that?

Because the No Child Left Behind Act proved that at any moment the Federal Government can step in and dictate how the states are to run their educational systems.

the sneaky mama
12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Isn't education a state matter? How would a win by Hilary affect that?.

Well, that is one argument. . .I'm not saying I agree with their premise. . .just saying what I've read. ;-) I actually don't support Huckabee.

As far as education being a state matter. . .I personally think that we are on a slippery slope downwards towards that changing. NCLB is not state funded. . .it's federally funded. Some of the Universal PK agenda is being proposed as federal (I think in the form of incentives). . .

Jackie
01-01-2008, 01:59 PM
More stuff from Spunky.....

http://www.spunkyhomeschool.blogspot.com/

Emma's#1fan
01-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Very interesting read!
Patty

Spectacles
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
I took a second (and third and fourth...) look at Huck after HSLDA backed him. I just don't trust anyone who "supports" homeschooling but would accept the endorsement of the NEA.

I think our "comrades" at the NEA are sure he can't win...so why not endorse him?!

I'm a Thompson/Hunter '08 gal. :D

Emma's#1fan
01-11-2008, 12:13 AM
Today as we cleaned the church, some ladies and I were discussing Huckabee. Many plan on voting for him. When they hear I thought he was wishy-washy, they thought I was nuts. As Christians we want a Godly person in office, which I understand. As a homeschool mom, I want the freedom to homeschool as I please. I guess they would have to be homeschool parents to understand why I feel the way I do.
Patty

sixcloar
01-11-2008, 10:11 AM
“He’s playing the evangelical bumpkin card.” He assumes, and sadly enough, rightfully so, that if you say Jesus, Christ, God, show the cross, and on every occasion use terms of faith, then you can win the evangelical vote.
This is from Spunky site. This is exactly what my aunt (who is very conservative) said about Huckabee. I have to say, that the more I read, the more I agree with Patty that Huckabee seems to be a little wishy-washy (especially with homeschooling). Not sure who my vote's going for. I do know several that it will NOT be!!

(Actually my TX voter registration was rejected. I forgot something. I went to pick up another form yesterday, but the library was out. If I don't get it done soon, I won't be voting in the primaries!!:eek:)

Dani
01-11-2008, 10:21 AM
I have an aunt who lives in Arkansas and says that he is wishy washy. I am not sure who I am voting for, but just wanted to throw out the opinion of someone who has been under him as governor. She never really gave me any details, said he would say one thing and do another. However, what politician does not do that?

dawninns
01-11-2008, 11:30 AM
As Christians we want a Godly person in office

Granted I don't have a say but I'd be perfectly happy with a moral and principled person whther godly, christian, atheist or rastafarian. :)

The fact that a politician is Christian does nothing for me. I've seen to many Christian politicians in action.:(

Jackie
01-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Actually, my dh and I are discussing this right now. He's not too keen on the Mormon guy, simply because he IS Mormon. But I'd be more likely to vote for him over a guy who is a Sunday-Morning Christian only. And I would SURE vote for him over Hillary!!! A non-Christian who will vote my values to me is better than a professing Christian who won't.

Actressdancer
01-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I'm a Thompson/Hunter '08 gal. :D

I've been leaning that way, but part of me wonders if I'd just be wasting my vote on a lost cause. Then again, if enough people thought that way we'd only ever elect the media front runners.

Jackie
01-11-2008, 11:47 AM
And if enough people thought they'd vote for the "impossible choice", that "impossible" could very well happen. I mean, look at how Huckabee was considered impossible a few months ago!

Besides, I can only vote as I feel God would have me. The election results are in His hands, not mine. If he tells me to vote for an "impossible" candidate, that's what I should do.

Dani
01-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Granted I don't have a say but I'd be perfectly happy with a moral and principled person whther godly, christian, atheist or rastafarian. :)

The fact that a politician is Christian does nothing for me. I've seen to many Christian politicians in action.:(

I feel exactly the same way!

dawninns
01-11-2008, 03:29 PM
I can't resist this...

I recently foudn a youtube video of an old Canadian show called, "Talking to Americans." Basically the host played a news reporter and went and asked Americans'opinions on ridiculous and made up scenarios about Canada. An example:

What is your opinion of the Canadian practice of putting senior citizens out on ice bergs?

It was basically meant to poke a little fun about how little many Americans know about Canada.

Here's one involving Huckabee! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhTZ_tgMUdo)

Jackie
01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Dawn, I LOVED it!!! The idea of having a National Igloo for a capital, and being concerned about the effects of Global warming on it!!! It was GREAT!!!

athleticsgirl
01-11-2008, 05:35 PM

THANK YOU!!! I am so glad to see someone say this! I was under the impression that church and state were to be seperate. I cannot imagine voting for/not voting for someone because of their religion. To say that you won't vote for so-and-so because they are _____ is ridiculous. So many people complain about the prejudice and discrimination in our country, but yet they do it themselves over and over again. Religion should have nothing to do with who is President. Bush is a "Christian"..correct? :roll:

And from what I have studied, Mormons are "Christians".

Jackie
01-11-2008, 06:28 PM
That depends on your definition of Christian, and this thread really isn't the place to get into it. Mormons basically believe that additional revelation has been made to John Smith, and that revelation takes precident over the Bible.

athleticsgirl
01-11-2008, 06:43 PM
You're right, this isn't the place to discuss it. Every Christian has a different definition of Christianity depending on how they want to live their lives. Apologies for my comment...I will keep my mouth shut and just read :)

dawninns
01-11-2008, 07:40 PM
While I don't think the Mormons meet the definition of being a Christian denomination I'd certainly welcome them as part of the wider Christian family and refer to them as Christians myself.

athleticsgirl - You're welcome. Religion has never been even a consideration when I vote for someone. It's partly because I'm in Canada where we're simply more secular (a candidate's religion just isn't even discussed here) but also it just doesn't seem to be a reliable indicator of anything important in a political candidate.

jacqlyn00
01-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok I have to comment because I am offended. I am Mormon and I am most definately a Christian. NO way does the LDS church believe the book of mormon takes presidence over the Bible.
I teach my kids from both books. This year we are Studying the old testament, its our first year doing scripture study so naturally I would start from the Bible. I hate it that people believe the Bible is somewhat less important to us. How could it somehow be less important? Its the word of God isnt it?

Jackie
01-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Then Jackie, I stand corrected in what you believe. Again, I don't want to hijack this thread into a discussion on Mormon beliefs. If anyone wants to start another thread about that, they are welcome to do so.

Emma's#1fan
01-12-2008, 11:51 AM

When I speak of a Christian being in office, I am referring to a MORAL, PRINCIPLED person.
If a politician claims to be a Christian, but was for abortion or anything else I was against, then no, I would not vote this person in office because he isn't following Godly principles. There are somethings that I find appauling, Christian or not.
As a Christian, I am glad that we have a Christian in office, whether or not I agree with all that has come to pass in his presidency. I can easily vote for a non-Christian with morals and values and yet, I will still not be completely satisfied with what he does just as I would not be completely satisfied with everything a Christian president would do.
Patty

bugsmommy
01-12-2008, 06:46 PM
I probably won't vote for Huckabee because I don't agree with him on some other key issues, but I did read this week in a yahoogroup something about Huckabee's past legislation in Arkansas. Something about a deadline to turn in your paperwork, and having to wait 2 weeks before you can pull a child out of public school to homeschool - when they don't have that 'wait' time to pull out and put the child in a private or patriochal school.

But, if you're considering him and that would make a difference, you'll have to google it. I saw it on a local group, and the lady voicing her opinion didn't give any links or reference points. She DID say something about NEA endorsing both he and Hillary Clinton... which I also find odd.

I cant remember where I read this ont he web, I guess it could be googled....Mary Pride (hs advocate....has published articles in a hsing magazine and is an authour of hsing books) did not support huckabee because of the wishy washy stuff. It may have been on Youtube even...cant remember!! i think before i make my final decision, I will look it up and really research all of the canidates!

OHHH HERE IT IS!!! The article is at home-schoolworld.com!!! Later I am gonna take the time to really read the whole thing!!

dawninns
01-12-2008, 06:52 PM
Shawna - I think this is what you're talking about - http://www.home-school.com/news/huckabee.html

I got it through a google news thingee on homeschooling.

Jackie
01-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the link, Dawn!!! I did check it out!

jacqlyn00
01-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Well according to that link Ron Paul is really sounding good for homeschoolers. Hmm choices choices.

Emma's#1fan
01-12-2008, 09:14 PM
OHHH HERE IT IS!!! The article is at home-schoolworld.com!!! Later I am gonna take the time to really read the whole thing!!
Thanks!:D
Patty

Emma's#1fan
01-14-2008, 12:11 AM
I wanted to see why HSLDA supported Huckabee and I came across this.
They mention that they believe Huckabree is the only one who has a chance at beating Clinton.
If she wins, homeschooling is going to be in jeopardy.
The article is not new but informative.
Patty

http://www.hsldapac.org/dnn/Home/HuckabeeforPresident/tabid/93/Default.aspx

Jackie
01-14-2008, 06:47 AM
I've not read the article, but I'm very bothered when Christians sit and discuss voting for a person because he's "the only one with a chance of beating...." To me, that's walking in fear. We are NOT responsible for who wins any election; God is. Our responsibility is to vote for whoever we feel God is leading us to vote for. A "come-from-behind" candidate CAN win an election if enough people are obeying God and voting for him! But that will NOT happen if we all respond out of fear and vote for a candidate we don't believe in out of fear of the person running against him.

I've no idea yet who I will vote for, and it may well be Huckabee. But it I DO, I will be doing so out of conviction, not out of fear.

sixcloar
01-14-2008, 10:52 AM
This is pretty much the reason, although there are some other points in the article.

Because of her past support for the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, we believe that it is absolutely essential to find a candidate who can beat her. If she is elected president, both homeschooling and parental rights would be in serious jeopardy.

I also read the article by HSLDA on the other thread. That article explains that when Huckabee signed the harsher homeschooling laws, the laws were agreed upon by the hs representatives. State represetatives were pushing for much stricter laws, and the restrictions passed were a compromise of sorts.

More stuff to think about.....

Jackie
01-14-2008, 10:55 AM
I understand that, but feel that is WRONG. We should be voting on who we feel will be the BEST candidate, NOT voting on a compromise who we feel will "beat Hillary".

sixcloar
01-14-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm not saying it's right, just that that's WHY Huckabee is being endorsed.

Emma's#1fan
01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm not saying it's right, just that that's WHY Huckabee is being endorsed.

Exactly!
After reading these articles, especially the two on the other thread, it does shed a new light as to why HSLDA is endorsing Huckabee.
I agree 100%! The articles give something more to think about.
...and after all, isn't this what we want so we CAN make a wise choice!:D I am glad I came across them. Although I still have no idea who I am voting for, I at least have information from the horsers mouth.;)
Patty

Jackie
01-14-2008, 12:00 PM
And you're right that we need to understand why HSLDA has done what it has. I just disagree with them on this issue. Again, not sure if I'll vote for Huckabee or not, but it will be because I think he's the BEST of the choices given. NOT because I'm afraid of Hillary.

sixcloar
01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Again, not sure if I'll vote for Huckabee or not, but it will be because I think he's the BEST of the choices given. NOT because I'm afraid of Hillary.

Yeah, but I am afraid of Hillary (or what she will do to our country)! But, I know that God is in control and if she wins, He will still be in control.

Jackie
01-14-2008, 01:22 PM
Yeah, but I am afraid of Hillary (or what she will do to our country)! But, I know that God is in control and if she wins, He will still be in control.

Pam, that's probably a much better sumation of how I feel!

aggie01
01-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Man after reading these post and links (some not all of them) and hearing how Rush seems to really dislike Huck, I havej ust about changed my mind on voting for him. I think I am leaning now more towards Fred Thompson. I don't know anymroe thought.

Aggie

Ava Rose
01-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I agree that we cannot vote out of fear. We just need to be informed and prayed up before entering the voting booth. I am not sure who I am voting for. I was all for Huckabee but I am now having second thoughts. I know I do not want Hillary to be president. I think that would be a disaster. However, God has used leaders that did not honor Him to bring about his Will. So, if God wills that Hillary is to be president there must be a reason. Of course, man has free will..not discounting that. Not saying the wrong person will not be elected. However, look to your Bible and see the leaders that were chosen and how God's will was done either through the ungodly or dispite the ungodly.

Emma's#1fan
01-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I wasn't to sure about Huckabee but after reading the other links on the other thread, it clears some things up. I still do not have an idea who I will vote for because it is still early on, but at least I have a better idea why Huckabee did what he did in Arkansas.
Patty

the sneaky mama
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I've only read a few of the past posts. . .but I'll throw this out there. I can agree with voting for who the Lord wants me to vote for. But when it comes to down to two candidates, (assuming the person that I would want doesn't make it--which of course I don't know) I think voting for the lesser evil is very well what the Lord would intend me to do. Just bc you are voting "against" someone doesn't mean that's not how you feel led by the Lord. . .and neither do I think it's walking in fear. It's just a different lens with which to look at the same issue.

hmsclmommyto2
01-16-2008, 01:30 PM
I recieved an email today from the Human Rights Campaign with some info about Huckabee I didn't know. Thought I'd pass it along. I don't know who I'll vote for, and I'm not trying to trash Huckabee or change anyone's mind about voting for him. I just figured this info would help us be more informed on this candidate. I left out all the links to get to the petition, but copied the rest of the email:

Should a leading presidential candidate get away with ignoring the facts and going back on his word? Not on our watch.

Last month, Republican presidential candidate Gov. Mike Huckabee stood by his absurd 1992 comments that AIDS patients should have been "isolated" (it was common knowledge in 1992 that AIDS couldn't be spread by casual contact).

After a public outcry erupted, he agreed to meet with the mother of Ryan White, who died of AIDS in 1990. Now, more than a MONTH later, Huckabee is blatantly ignoring Ryan's mother, along with HRC and The AIDS Institute.

If we back down, he gets off scot-free. Make sure Huckabee knows Americans won't accept empty promises - tell him to meet with Ryan's mother before Feb. 5th, the most important day of the presidential primary season
In a 1992 questionnaire, Gov. Huckabee complained, "It is the first time in the history of civilization in which the carriers of a genuine plague have not been isolated from the general population..."

Two years earlier, a courageous young man named Ryan White had succumbed to AIDS. Ryan, a hemophiliac who was barred from school and shunned by the community after being diagnosed at age 13, helped teach the world that AIDS cannot be transmitted through casual contact.

It's hard to believe that 20 years later, we are faced with a presidential candidate who refuses to face both the scientific facts and the human toll of this disease.

The Human Rights Campaign and The AIDS Institute last month offered to facilitate a meeting with Jeanne White-Ginder to discuss the discrimination experienced by her son. Huckabee agreed to meet with her, but despite receiving two lengthy letters, he's been dragging his feet for weeks.
Ryan White became known to millions as the boy who fought to open hearts and minds while he battled a terrible disease.

We must honor Ryan's memory by holding Gov. Huckabee accountable. We have come too far to be thrust back into an era of irrational fear, ignorance and discrimination.

Jackie
01-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I've only read a few of the past posts. . .but I'll throw this out there. I can agree with voting for who the Lord wants me to vote for. But when it comes to down to two candidates, (assuming the person that I would want doesn't make it--which of course I don't know) I think voting for the lesser evil is very well what the Lord would intend me to do. Just bc you are voting "against" someone doesn't mean that's not how you feel led by the Lord. . .and neither do I think it's walking in fear. It's just a different lens with which to look at the same issue.

I think we're really saying the same thing. I also will be willing to vote "for the lesser of two evils". Especially when, during the election, the guy you REALLY wanted to vote for has been knocked out. There's a good chance that the person I vote for in the Primary and the person I vote for as President won't be the same.

But that's not what HSLDA is saying, at least not to me. There are others that HSLDA may very well believe in. They may even be more "in line" with HSLDA's values. But they seem not to be backing those candidates, not because of the candidate's beliefs or values, but BECAUSE of their (HSLDA's) fear of Hillary. And to me, THAT is wrong.

the sneaky mama
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Gosh. . .I don't know. Beating Hilary is a pretty powerful motivator to me! LOL

Seriously though, I've actually spoken to her in real person and strongly feel that if she were to win our hsing freedoms would suffer. None of the other candidates in my view have quite the anti-school choice (and that includes hsing in her mind), "pro-child" position that she does. So if I feel like the Lord would want me to protect hsing, then voting against Hilary is not wrong. Does that make sense? But I do understand where you're coming from. ;-)

Earthy
02-06-2008, 06:23 AM
Gosh. . .I don't know. Beating Hilary is a pretty powerful motivator to me! LOL

Seriously though, I've actually spoken to her in real person and strongly feel that if she were to win our hsing freedoms would suffer. None of the other candidates in my view have quite the anti-school choice (and that includes hsing in her mind), "pro-child" position that she does. So if I feel like the Lord would want me to protect hsing, then voting against Hilary is not wrong. Does that make sense? But I do understand where you're coming from. ;-)

Is there a clapping smilie on here? because if there was I would put about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,etc on this post!

the sneaky mama
02-06-2008, 06:55 AM
She took NYS which is not surprising, but I was disappointed all the same. McCain won the Republican primary here.

Something funny and sad all at the same time? When dh and I went to vote, they had a stack of green cards and a stack of red cards. . .the red were Republicans and the green were Democrats. She automatically pulled out green cards for us, and when we told her we were Republicans--she took a double take, and then said, "You're the only Republicans who came to vote."
The WHOLE auditorium was staring at us. . .which was funny.

What's sad is that if that's true, it means that no on in my church went to vote last night. ;-(

Deena
02-07-2008, 11:34 AM
She took NYS which is not surprising, but I was disappointed all the same. McCain won the Republican primary here.

Something funny and sad all at the same time? When dh and I went to vote, they had a stack of green cards and a stack of red cards. . .the red were Republicans and the green were Democrats. She automatically pulled out green cards for us, and when we told her we were Republicans--she took a double take, and then said, "You're the only Republicans who came to vote."
The WHOLE auditorium was staring at us. . .which was funny.

What's sad is that if that's true, it means that no on in my church went to vote last night. ;-(Ours is pretty much all mail voting now, which is easier!

the sneaky mama
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Mail would take a massive effort in organization that I don't think NYC is capable of. You'd have to send it out in several languages--but with polling places, it's all in several languages but in one place.

gottsegnet
03-04-2008, 12:19 PM
First, I disagree that Huckabee is an "uberconservative." Social conservative, yes, and I think those are the issues important to HSLDA-PAC, but otherwise he is pretty moderate.

The reason they fear Clinton is because her husband signed the UN CRC and they fear its resurrection. It is yet to come before the senate for ratification and if Clinton wins and there is even a slight shift toward the dems, its ratification will be pretty easy.

That is why they are working so hard on the parental rights amendment, too.

Jackie
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Well, Ohio had its Primary today, and I voted for Huckabee. I don't think it will make any difference, as McCain just about has it sewed up. I'm just totally disgusted with the whole thing this time around!