View Full Version : Homeschool Mom Elected to Public School Board

12-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Found this interesting, thought I would share...

http://www.aikenstandard.com (http://www.aikenstandard.com/2007redesign/news/290513591039595.php)

Associated Press
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) A mother who backs conservative education policies and home-schools her four daughters on Wednesday was elected head of the board that oversees South Carolina's public schools.
Kristin Maguire, 39, of Clemson, was voted chairwoman-elect of the State Board of Education, which means she is slated to become chairwoman in 2009.

It is a long article, if you want to read it.....

12-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Thats amazing they elected her! Awesome

12-16-2007, 10:58 PM
Yea, I wasn't sure what to make of it. I didn't even know a homeschooling parent, with no children currently in the public school system could be a board member. But my information about school boards is practically non-existant.
Oh, well. Just thought it was a neat news story.

12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
We live in a small town and my dh was interested in running 2 yrs back. I might ask him again if something he's interested in. My dh is very active in our community so he might be a tad too busy for the school board right now.
Anyways....I think its great to have a homeschool parent on the board.

12-17-2007, 06:42 AM
I think it depends on the board. I mean, most of our board sends their kids to a private school, our mayor sends his kids to Catholic schools, people without kids can run, so why not?

12-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Being a homeschool mom, perhaps she will bring some new ideas to the table and shed a new light on homeschooling to those who do not understand it.

12-17-2007, 09:19 AM
I guess I have mixed feelings about this. I mean, on one hand, I think it's awesome and agree with the idea that maybe she'll bring new ideas to the table. On the other hand, I think school boards should only be populated by people who are directly affected by their own decisions: parents who have children in public school. It's easy to dole out edicts and bylaws to the schools when your own child is unaffected.

Like I said... mixed feelings. I'm not really for it, and I'm not really against it.

12-17-2007, 09:54 AM
If you pay taxes, you're affected by the government's schools. So all HS'ers should stay involved.

12-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Wow! Great observation!
I never would have never seen it in that light.

12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Do homeschoolers care about their community at large? I think all of us would answer that YES. We don't live isolated from the rest of the world. The conditions of our schools influences our world.

(BTW, welcome Mark!)

12-17-2007, 12:51 PM
I agree bring a homeschool mama on

12-17-2007, 01:32 PM
That's why I love this place because someone will always bring up points that I never would have thought of.