PDA

View Full Version : Oh Brother!

Deena
11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
This goes with the "Oh for heaven's sake!" thread. I think this one is crazy too! Ho Ho Ho offensive? What kind of Santa says Ha Ha Ha?!!! Things are just getting ridiculous! :eek:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115/od_afp/lifestyleaustraliachristmasoffbeat;_ylt=AjPkJ.qL19 bSxxgkdhak.W8uQE4F

sevenwhiskers
11-16-2007, 06:22 AM
better warn the garden stores next - wouldn't want our ladylike ears to be subjected to some old farmer guy asking for a cheap hoe. :twisted:

(obviously i agree with you on the level of ridiculousness in this whole overly PC stupidity)

Jackie
11-16-2007, 06:32 AM
Lol!!!!

Actressdancer
11-16-2007, 08:05 AM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this whole thing was nutty. Let's hope this stays in Oz.

KrisRV
11-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Deena, I seen that on the news last night and laughed so much it wasn't funny. What is this world coming too?

MonkeyMamma
11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Coomon sense is nonexistant these days.

Actressdancer
11-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Next thing you know, dog breeders will have to stop using the proper term "bitch", Tyson will have to come up with a new name for "breasts", scandal will rock any store that dares sells aprons or skirts, and any mom who doesn't return to work within 3 weeks of childbirth will be given a social citation and her home will be picketed.

Healthy Skeptic
11-16-2007, 12:48 PM
:?:

Deena
11-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Really, I don't think we can say or do anything without offending someone! So what can we do? If we do nothing that will upset people, but if we do anything or something that'll offend people too! :eek:

hmsclmommyto2
11-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Any woman who gets personally offended because she walked a a guy dressed as Santa & he said "ho ho ho", has some serious self-esteem issues to work out.
How can someone find that offensive?
Now, I can see being offended if Santa says "You're a HO HO HO", but otherwise......

Ava Rose
11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Now, I can see being offended if Santa says "You're a HO HO HO", but otherwise......

LOL!!!!! That is too funny.

I can't believe what this world is coming to. Just nuts.

Ava Rose
11-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Did I just hear the news right or did a teacher get suspended for saying "eeny meeny miney moe"? What??? UGH...first Santa now this.

Deena
11-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Did I just hear the news right or did a teacher get suspended for saying "eeny meeny miney moe"? What??? UGH...first Santa now this.Huh? I didn't hear that. What's that about?

sevenwhiskers
11-18-2007, 09:30 AM
here's the story (http://www.myfoxnewisconsin.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=4484BE722FA4709867AC9B585A145C8B ?contentId=4954808&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=1.1.1&sflg=1)

Teacher Suspended for Alleged Racist Rhyme
Last Edited: Friday, 16 Nov 2007, 11:05 AM CST
Created: Friday, 16 Nov 2007, 11:03 AM CST

KAUKAUNA (AP) - A River View Middle School teacher accused of using a racist rhyme in class has been suspended.

The teacher allegedly used the rhyme - "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe" - Monday while trying to pick a student to do a task.

Kaukauna Area School District officials learned of the incident Tuesday and put the teacher on leave with pay Wednesday, Superintendent Lloyd McCabe said. They are still investigating.

A student's parent reported the incident to school officials, McCabe said. He said he hopes to work out an agreement so the results of the investigation and disciplinary action can be made public.

y'know what? i was an adult before i knew that the rhyme originally contained the racial slur of "nigger" -- we all said "tiger" and that's all we knew it as....i wonder what the teacher actually used, as that's rather important.. or if he/she even used the whole thing, or even knew that there was anything racial to it -- he/she might be like i was and not known of it's origins at all, just thought it was a rhyme about catching a tiger or whatever.....

Jackie
11-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Actually, the original rhyme goes back to the ancient Druids. It had to do with human sacrifice. Then the French brought the version we use today today to French Canada, and it migrated south. The French children would sing, "Cache tes poings derierre ton dos" (Hide your fists behind your back). The word "nigger" was added, I believe, during the time of the Underground Railroad. (I studied it for an American Folklore class

I'm assuming the teacher said "tiger". If so, the idiots who suspended her should be lined up and shot! I think ALL Mother Goose rhymes should be banned, then! I mean, if you look at their origin, they are nasty bits of work. How many think of the Black Death when they sing "Ring Around the Rosie", or the beheading of Mary Queen of Scots when they sing "Mistress Mary, Quite Contrary"?

vantage
11-18-2007, 09:53 AM
Our Hatian freinds' children use versions of "eany meany".

I was a bit suprised the first time, but then noticed that they have several versions and/or verses, none of which are racists in the form they use.

sevenwhiskers
11-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Actually, the original rhyme goes back to the ancient Druids. It had to do with human sacrifice. Then the French brought the version we use today today to French Canada, and it migrated south. The French children would sing, "Cache tes poings derierre ton dos" (Hide your fists behind your back). The word "nigger" was added, I believe, during the time of the Underground Railroad. (I studied it for an American Folklore class

aaaaaah - cool, thanks for explaining it more... heh, now i can say i was 30 before i really really knew where it came from :lol:

Jackie
11-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Georgie Porgie, pudding and pie
Kissed the girls and made them cry
When the boys came out to play
Georgie Porgie ran away.

Well, any boy who sings THAT should be suspended and labeled a sexual predator!

sevenwhiskers
11-18-2007, 10:30 AM
^^^^^ :lol:

oh dear. i taught that rhyme to ds last week :p ..we were sitting in the kitchen singing songs and rhymes and stuff and i remembered that one and sang it for him -- which he loved, because his cane is named 'george' (it's named because he was reluctant to use it at first, so we named it and now it's fun... 'let george find the step!' etc etc) :)

Deena
11-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Jackie, I agree! I'd also like to know what the teacher said exactly!

MonkeyMamma
11-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Common sense is not a quality school administrators seem to have anymore.

I mean How freaking stupid is that!?!?!?!?!?

lovinhomeschool
11-18-2007, 06:39 PM
ok, i AM an adult, and guess what I just learned? That it wasn't tiger. Wow, now I feels stupid.

kyzg
11-19-2007, 03:09 AM
Really, I don't think we can say or do anything without offending someone! So what can we do? If we do nothing that will upset people, but if we do anything or something that'll offend people too! :eek:

Hmmmm, are we being conditioned for the future of our world? Flash forward to the future and, well, I guess we just won't talk to anyone anymore or touch anyone anymore. And by then we will have forgotten how to think for ourselves and use common sense. My, what perfect little cogs in the machine we will be! BIG BROTHER will be so proud of us all!!

mommix3
11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
How Stupid!!! Ridiculous!

Jackie
11-19-2007, 12:02 PM
I heard today on the radio that a children's author was told to remove the fire breathing dragon out of her book, because concerns that it might encourage children to play with fire.

hmsclmommyto2
11-19-2007, 12:34 PM
What's next, Disney movies get banned because watching Aladin will encourage children to jump off the roof with an area rug, or Snow White encourages all little girls to run away & find a house full of men to live with?
Do people really think that kids are that stupid?
And the teacher getting suspended for "eeny meeny miney moe". That's ridiuclous, unless the teacher actually said a racial slur in it.

Ava Rose
11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Wow, this is getting crazier and crazier. There is no way I could be a teacher. I would be suspended in a second. lol. I personally think people are getting way too sensitive. Can you imagine if All in the Family were on today?! I bet it isn't even in reruns anymore. lol.

Now, I would never support anything that was harmful or hurtful. I am opposed to racial slurs being used and all that. However, I think things have just gone way too far. Funny how teachers get suspended for saying some silly rhyme but some are still teaching after dating a student. Or students can cuss in the hallway without a problem. (maybe I am wrong...maybe a student would get in trouble for that....I know when I was in high school kids cussed in the hallway and teachers never said a thing.)

cookies
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Actually the teacher that said "eeny meeny miney moe catch a nigg** by the toe". That is why she was suspended and she was only suspended for 5 days and at first during investigation she was on paid administrative leave. The mother of this child is moving the children to another school district.

cookies
11-19-2007, 05:22 PM
It would be really silly if the teacher was suspended for just saying a childhood rhyme, she actually added NIGG** in the rhyme in a class with only 1 african american child.

Flowerchild
11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
And I can see their point.. you wouldn't want these girls to get the wrong idea about Santa, especially since they just got all of those condoms handed to them in school!

Ava Rose
11-19-2007, 06:30 PM
It would be really silly if the teacher was suspended for just saying a childhood rhyme, she actually added NIGG** in the rhyme in a class with only 1 african american child.

If there were no african american chidlren in the class it would still be wrong and worthy of suspension. That term should not be tolerated regardless of your race.

Ava Rose
11-19-2007, 06:31 PM
And I can see their point.. you wouldn't want these girls to get the wrong idea about Santa, especially since they just got all of those condoms handed to them in school!

ROLF!! That is sooo funny.

When I told my dh, he said, "what were hookers offended?" LOL.

sevenwhiskers
11-19-2007, 07:45 PM
if anyone goes googling this story, you may want to watch what you click for it -- this has been picked up by stormfront and other sites of that sort (of course) and many of those come up right off.

kyzg
11-21-2007, 12:15 AM
I heard today on the radio that a children's author was told to remove the fire breathing dragon out of her book, because concerns that it might encourage children to play with fire.

This reminds me of that car commercial not too long ago where the car was driving sideways along a building and they actually had to put in writing at the bottom of the screen something like "This car is not actually able to do this". It seems like the people I meet in person always see the stupidity in these types of things, but apparently the powers-that-be are finding it necessary to take these ridiculous measures so I can't help but ask myself--and worry, truly worry (no tongue-in-cheek comment here)--is our society as a whole really becoming this dumbed down? Heaven help us if that's true. Or is it just that our society is so litigious now that people will find anyway to sue and make money that all bases need to be covered. Wouldn't it just irk you to see some guy walk away with millions just because he went to court saying "But they let me believe I could drive on buildings . . .duh. . . "

P.H.
01-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Hmmmm, are we being conditioned for the future of our world? Flash forward to the future and, well, I guess we just won't talk to anyone anymore or touch anyone anymore. And by then we will have forgotten how to think for ourselves and use common sense. My, what perfect little cogs in the machine we will be! BIG BROTHER will be so proud of us all!!

Kyzg, dd just finished reading the book, 1984. 'Sounds like!

On one hand, this type of thing can be depressing, but, dear ones, always remember that God and His inscrutable plan for the end of the age is greater! And the last page of the Book says He wins!