PDA

View Full Version : Memorizing

Momnmesa
08-14-2004, 01:08 AM
I want to enhance my son's memory. Does anyone have suggestions for a book with short poems or scripture? Maybe other ideas?

Mom2ampm
08-14-2004, 12:20 PM
but I would love to hear a few too! My dd has trouble memorizing things. She remembers her spelling words easily but things like addition facts she struggles with remembering!

Trudy Powell
08-14-2004, 02:08 PM
Kids (and adults) learn and memorize things put to a tune (i.e. commercial jingles). There are many educational-type products on the market with facts, figures, math, history, scripture, etc. put to song. I think this might be a great way to help kids remember things. I still can sing many of the School House Rock songs that were on between Saturday morning cartoons when I was growing up. Just a thought.

Mom2ampm
08-14-2004, 02:40 PM
addition math songs and addition rock vhs tape but dd thinks they are boring. I have to FORCE her to listen/watch them and I don't think she has learned anything from them, but I was very hopeful. I think she learns best through kinesthetic? I know she is not auditory. I also tried mneumonics addition and I couldn't get her interested. It is working well w/ ds. He is using a mneumonics program for number recognition.

Still would love to hear some more ideas about memorizing!

Jackie
08-14-2004, 05:17 PM
I would think almost any poem that she found enjoyable. Start with "silly" ones, such as:

I never saw a Purple Cow
I never hope to see one.
But this I'll tell you anyhow
I'd rather see one than be one.

OR:

See that birdie in the sky?
He dropped something in my eye!
Me no worry, me no cry,
Me just know that cows don't fly!

I've found the "Read-Aloud Poems For Young Readers: An introduction to the Magic and Excitement of Poetry", edited by Glorya Hale, is an excellent all-'round poetry book. It has good stuff for young ones, yet "classical" poems, too, such as "Barbara Frietchie", "Oh Captian! My Captain!" and "I Hear America Singing".

becky
08-15-2004, 01:47 PM
We use Rock& Learn tapes and videos. It's subjects like math, states and capitals, etc., set to rock music. It goes from preschool on up. I'm 39 years old, and I could never remember that poem about the days in a month until Jeannie wore out their Telling Time video!