PDA

View Full Version : "Homeschooled Athletes Gain Exposure"

Sherry
09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
http://www.lsj.com/news/schools/040523_monroe.html

Earthy
06-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Nice article. Thanks so much for sharing. We are involved in various hs sports also. It is a good thing:)

Hippychick
08-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks for sharing this, We are not far from this town and we also play basketball with all these teams.
Blessings
Lisa

Laura_Lee
08-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I live in Jacksonville, Florida. All that is required for our kids to play for the local high school are verification that we are homeschooling in our district, transcripts, health information, and the usual waivers everyone else has to sign. I've been told that the numbers of homeschool kids playing in public sports is becoming a concern for local schools, but they are legally required to accept them without prejudice and without additional prerequisites. We can also count it as PE if we log the ours of practice and games. (Score!!)

My daughter plays on the varsity volleyball team for our local high school. She is a sophomore. The only fees associated with the varsity programs are for uniforms. We don't have any large homeschool high school teams here, but I assume since we play people outside our division every year, that you could conceivably play against good high school teams in the area if you had a purely homeschool team. Because the public schools have opened their doors to homeschool sports, the private schools have mostly closed theirs, even if you offer to pay an activity fee. We also have club ball programs in which everyone can participate, if you make the cut and can pay for it. These run at different times than the varsity seasons.

This is the area that Tim Tebow, quarterback for the University of Florida Gators, calls home. His family live in a neighboring county. What you might not know about him from watching the games on ESPN or the National Championship, is that he was a homeschooled kid, just like the others in his family. They have been phenomenally successful as a family, with kids in medical school, and post-graduate programs, and now their youngest, who is being touted as the best NCAA football player in history. He played for his local high school and broke every record that was ever kept for his position. Looks like he will do the same at Florida, barring injury. He is perhaps the best ambassador for the homeschool community in the nation. Everyone can point to his success story.

We do not have to report to our state DOE office, either, and requirements to our school district are that we test, or have a portfolio, and have either one signed by a certified teacher stating that we are progressing acceptably through our curriculum and that the kids are on an acceptable pace for their ability.

I'd be interested to hear about other homeschool athletes, and if they have faced any prejudiced due to their different learning status. My bet is that they're welcome, and that schools will want to appropriate our transcripts to elevate the grade averages of their sports programs. We actually had some problems with our JV coach last year; my daughter was the best player on the team and was benched several games in a row after she scored 12 unanswered points in a game. Then simple errors like missing a single serve got her benched for the remainder of a match, and blamed for the entire team losing. I could not account for any logic in this, nor could any of the other parents. But we're glad to have it behind us.

Trish
08-25-2007, 10:34 PM
Our state doesn't let us participate in public school sports.

We do ours through the YMCA if Vicki wants to play.

Actressdancer
08-25-2007, 11:05 PM
We have homeschool teams here, but we are only able to play other homeschool teams. Our kids are able to play for the ps teams if they want, though.

Laura_Lee
08-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Our state doesn't let us participate in public school sports.

We do ours through the YMCA if Vicki wants to play.

WOw, I had a great reply to your post but I'm too new here and the program won't let me post links.

Anyway, We have just received the "right" to participate in public school athletic activities in the las t 10 years. Look up "The Home Education Foundation" on Google. On their front page is a section called "newsflashes". There's an article called "She fought the law and Tebow won" It details the fight for us to be included in our public school athletic programs.

There's a legal advisory explaining this by Bob Butterworth, Florida Attorney General, if you google
Attorney General
Advisory Legal Opinion

Number: AGO 96-87
Date: November 4, 1996
Subject: Home education student, participation in school sports

These are brilliant and articulate opinions on why we (AND YOU) should be allowed to participate, since OUR OWN tax money is used to fund these schools. They are, by title, free and public schools, and NO ONE regardless of race, creed, etc. can be turned away.

I would love to see people across the country take this and run with it. We enjoy our freedoms here in FLorida and sometimes we probably take it for granted.

This sounds like a court or legislative battle waiting to happen. Your South Carolina Home School Association should have a legslative representative who can take this to the state level.

You could start the ball rolling, or you could always move, and join us here in Florida!!:D