PDA

View Full Version : can VBS count as school?

suzanne
06-06-2004, 02:47 PM
I am a new homeschooler-to-be. I will begin hs'ing my first grader in August and we are planning to do a year round schedule. I am teaching VBS next week and it got me to thinking. Do I have to technically count VBS as a week off or can I somehow count that as school since she'll be doing Bible education, music, physical education, art, etc or am I trying to creatively fudge the system? Or maybe we could do an abbreviated day in the afternoon. Looking for opinions here. I live in Georgia, if that should happen to matter.

Suzanne

Mom2ampm
06-06-2004, 04:31 PM
and as long as you have 180 days at 4hrs per day then you will have enough days for the school year. If you homeschool year-round then I don't see a problem with you having enough days. I would count the VBS anyway. I think you're right when you say that it includes art, music, PE, reading, writing and more. You could also include any work you do at home in the afternoon of that week.

Missy

Brenda
06-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Suzanne,
I don't see why you can't count VBS as home schooling 'curriculum'. The lessons your child will learn are (in my opinion) more valuable than anything a text book could offer. We use Alpha Omega and devotional books, etc and our local school board (who checks in on home schoolers from time to time), said nothing about it. We use pages from the internet and they said nothing about that either.

Brenda

becky
06-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Hey, Suzanne- thanks for bringing that up! That's an excellent question. VBS does offer a lot, and I never thought of it like that.

Anonymous
06-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Couldn't the things you do at VBS count as Personal Planning curriculum material? I don't know if you have that but that's what I would do.

abcTammy
06-07-2004, 08:14 AM
We school year around here and I document or count just about everything. I don't have to show anything here to the state though. Check out the HSLDA web site to get your state law requirements; also see if there is a state support group listed. Many states have them and they can guide you along with how and what to present to the state. I'm thinking GA actually requires 180 at 4.5 hours a day.
Best wishes with you homeschool :)
Tammy

Anonymous
06-07-2004, 10:46 AM
I'm another "count it all" person! My children attend AWANAS during the school year, and I consider that (and Sunday School!) as Bible. And yes, I do list Bible along with Math and Reading when I send my list of what I'm teaching to the school district, and mention the AWANAS handbooks under the book list.

What it comes down to is what YOU consider education. We school all year because I want my kids to internalize that learning is ALWAYS taking place, that it doesn't just happen during "school hours". I'm thankful that my state isn't too strict about keeping track of the exact hours, etc.