View Full Version : diploma for homeschoolers

05-28-2004, 08:22 PM
It seems to me that this got discussed at abcteach. What does a 12th grade homeschooler do for a diploma? If there isn't already, there should be a state test a homeschooler can take to obtain their sheepskin. I don't see why a state or county wide graduation ceremony couldn't be held for these kids. As far as I know, a homeschooler has to go take the GED when they are finished, and I say that's not right.

05-29-2004, 08:33 PM
I was sure that someone would post on this by now. I can't say that I know exactly where to look, but I know standard forms are out there. I know that many, many companies offer transcripts for you to fill out and it seems as though I have read "diploma" on more than one of those catalogs listings. You might check out www.elijahco.com or the Bob Jones site. If I run across anything, I'll post it.

05-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Brooke is right about BJ, Abeka, SOT, Sycamore, and AOP also have a diploma as do the many umbrella schools. Some states offer a hs-high school diploma. Each school has a number code used for college admission and tracking of high school transcripts. That is why many hs families link up with an umbrella or correspondance school. Others choose to step right into college without an offical diploma.
:rolleyes: Tammy

05-30-2004, 01:10 PM
My understanding is that since I am registered with an umbrella school that offers a diploma is this... I report my grades/attendance to them subjects/ cirriculums used/ extra cirricula activies and they keep a record just like a public school. And we get a diploma. Then when is time for college I have records and the school has records/transcripts and we have a diploma...
Is this right? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I understood it also.
Good subject..I look forward to reading comments.

05-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Hey Becky.......

Are you asking for now, or for the future?

If its for now, then if you want them to have their own diploma, then you keep a portfolio and track their credits for each subject and obtain a diploma yourself. So many of the huge regional homeschool groups even have public ceremonies,etc. I know of some homeschoolers that have done that.There are NUMEROUS companies that provide both diplomas and class rings for sale.This is compiled and then turned into college for entry.

If your are talking about the future, the options are as varied as the child. You can take it through an umbrella school such as an accredited high school or through a college that provides dual enrollment in high school and obtaining college credits. They will issue a diploma at the end of the high school credits. As with anything else you will want to compare credits to credits so to speak to see what the college requires (if you go that route) with what the high school offers.

For example, here in Texas, Texas Tech offers dual credit. It has to be a college that has accredited long distance service. However, not only does it offer accredited service, but it offers a public commencement exercise at Texas Tech campus, complete with cap and gown for high school. I know we are not alone! There have to be more. I'm just familiar with my area, but they DO EXIST.

JUST FOR ME:) I have a big problem with a homeschool child having to take a GED. The problem I have is not in the GED, as it is in the stigma or idea that is associated with it. You know it conjures up ideas in some, not all people of *not quite finishing*, *not quite as good as* *lesser* *inferior*etc. I know its a sorry way of thinking, and I know this is not what I think .....but a lot of universities,colleges and for that fact, employers do to. Its a prejudiced that I think is kind of ingrained in present society.

So I thought about that stimga being connected with the children's homeschooling and will avoid that route. I guess too since my mother homeschooled more than 20 years, thats what it seemed like EVERYONE told us. ...* You HAVE to have a GED to get into this, or apply for this*... They didn't acknowledge that homeschooling was and is a viable means of education. They still wanted you to take a GED! That made my blood boil and toes curl!:mad:

Oh well, a lof of what I'm telling you too depends on your state's laws.....We as homeschoolers shouldn't be subjected to taking the GED. I don't know Maryland's laws in that respect, but I think its pretty well understand statewide, that we don't need them to get into college,ect.. So this should be the presumption in your state. However, there are always the few uninformed among the bunch, and a few states that still do not want to recognize homeschooling.


05-31-2004, 02:00 PM
Tina, I was just trying to figure out if I needed to take on Annapolis or not! I just heard some time ago that here, anyway, you either took the GED or you arranged to graduate with the local Christian school. To me, there just should be a state administered test to show a homeschooler has qualified at least as well as the p.s. kids. When I called the BOE they told me homeschoolers don't get a diploma! Turkeys.

06-01-2004, 04:02 PM
at least inform them;)

Here is your ammonition. Its a webisite from the U.S. Department of Education http://ifap.ed.gov/dlpamphlets/G02342.html

It states basically you can get an accredited diploma or a *self-certification* that he/she completed the home high school........

Again, some of this will depend on which college, if any, she/he wants to go to. Since some colleges have dual credit, you can basically *intertwine* the two, i.e. receving an accredited diploma and getting college credits. There is not a state administered test, other than an assessement test for graduation, per se given by homeschoolers.

The BOE is probably telling you from the standpoint that homeschoolers don't get a diploma in the sense that its NOT REQUIRED in a lot of universities/colleges for entrance.I HOPE that is what they meant anyway:rolleyes:

A lot of state's laws have changed in regards to universities/colleges recognizing homeschoolers as graduates. Still though for the universities/colleges requirements you will want to conform somehow either by diploma issued by an accredited school or portfolio prepared by the parent(self certification) where a diploma was issued.

I don't think a state approved test exist that will allow a homeschooler not certified as a teacher to administer it for purposes of issuing an accredited diploma.(However, there are a lot of forms and documents that can be attached to the portfolio, and one of being the basic assessment test for that grade is a possibility) That is the reason that most of these universities and umbrella schools have very strict guidelines as to the curriculum they use and credits given because they have to keep their accreditation. That accreditation is their means to issuing the diplomas.

Some homeschoolers that have strict homeschooling laws or perhaps *uninformed* representatives do *get around* some of the law so to speak. A viable option is to enroll in a long distance accredited school. You want a high school or combination highschool/university that is accedited and accelerated long distance learning. Then you *technically and legally* go to that school. Then at the end, even though you are in a different state your diploma is issued by that school/state;)

There are numerous kinds of assessment tests that can be adminstered year to year to show they know the same as p.s. kids, but I think you were talking more about graduation, right?;)

For example, when my boys are in 7th grade, we will start planning highschool and college. We will want a plan laid out so that I can be sure they are getting the most for their time in terms of degrees,credits,etc. when we enter an accredited high school. I'm sure more things will be changed by then.

We as homeschoolers do not have access to the the college board standarized tests, like the PSAT/NMSQT, AP or any other college board tests. So we test right along with the public school for those, either in the local high school or by a certified tester and testing place. This statement comes from Peter Negroni, Vice President, Teaching and Learning at www.collegeboard.com.

Does this help clarify it some more? If you read the above website entitled *Eligibility of home schooled students-Institutional and Student Eligibility* I think it will answer your questions or at least inform those *making or setting the laws/rules*. Even though it does talk about getting financial assistance, its clear on what constitutes a high school graduate.


06-01-2004, 10:56 PM
The last time I checked with our BOE, they said h.s.ers do not get a diploma. I will say I think it's all in who answers the phone.I've called on many occassions and had very different answers each time. Some will give you places to call for more info, and others will come off like you're wasting their time.
I'm just wondering how it is now, as compared to the last time I looked into it. I've got until September 2005 before I have to get serious about it- and go to Annapolis!