PDA

View Full Version : Child truancy

Earthy
06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Mother Faces Jail for Child's Truancy (http://ozarksfirst.com/content/fulltext/?cid=22082)

Click right next to the articles title to watch the clip. So...wonder if all she needed to provide (as a hs'er) was an attendance sheet?

Jackie
06-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm really confused. Did the lady claim to be homeschooling? Or did the judge just say that because he didn't want the lady to come up with that as an option?

lovinhomeschool
06-11-2008, 06:57 PM
huh?

wyomom
06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
I have the same confusion. It sounded like he was in ps. Is anyone clear on this?

becky
06-11-2008, 10:02 PM
Maybe she volunteered to homeschool him, since she obviously can't get him to go to school, and the judge insisted he go to school? The story was either incomplete, or just a very shortened version.
That's my take, though- she can't get her son to go to school, she's facing jail, so she said she'd hs him. The judge said that's not an option.

MarcyKY
06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I remember seeing another article about this. The mom had tried to get him to go to school, but he's apparently a troubled kid, low IQ, with violent outburts and flat refused to go over and over.

After he was expelled from his school, she began homeschooling, but apparently didn't do the basics for the state they live in (Missouri I think it was). Because of that the judge ordered him back to school in the fall. And I think she is serving a jail sentence for not making him go to school.

If I remember correctly, she's a single mom of 5 or 6 kids, and homeschooling only came after he was expelled.

wyomom
06-11-2008, 10:37 PM
so who takes care of the kids while she is in jail? This sounds like a very rough situation to me.